Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2013, 12:23 AM   #1 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Tank Cycled!!!

My divided 20 long was set up July 14. Doing a fish-in cycle, Seachem Stability for eight days, Prime every day and four 25% water changes. Ammonia and Nitrite have been dropping for two days and tonight the parameters were:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 5-10

Tahitian Moon sand, lots and lots of plants and moss, driftwood, Cholla wood and three Bettas.

10 days! Yee Haw!!

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 07-25-2013 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Forgot.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:25 AM   #2 
tngirl92

Hmm, I need to try this in my tank. The prime makes ammonia non-toxic for the fish, am I correct? My fishless cycle is going on five weeks and it is driving me nuts. My two boys are much too large for their 2.5 gallon and 1.5 gallon temporary homes. I am having the darnedest time with it all. Congratulations on a successful cycle, though!
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:47 AM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Thanks. There are varied opinions but Stability's help cycle three tanks for me.

I tested the water 24 hours after using Prime since API doesn't differentiate between ammonia and ammonium. After the test I added the Prime. I've ordered a Seacham Ammonia test kit which does differentiate. Wish I'd had it from the start.

I've never done a fishless cycle. Sorry yours is taking so long.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:11 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Five weeks is a little long, though not unusual. If you have fish waiting for that tank, I'd suggest trying fresh Tetra Saftestart or, perhaps better, Dr Tim's One-and-Only shipped from the factory fresh and insulated. Give it a day to settle, then test water and introduce livestock.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote