4. One Betta splendens
  5. Artificial plants
  6. A constant 80 F
  7. Hydro I sponge filter
  8. Not using a CO2 unit
  9. No natural sunlight
  10. Last water change: today; 3 quarts
  11. Water changes once per week
  12. Feedings once per day; freeze dried blood worms and New Life Spectrum Marine Fish Formula, but switching to HBH Betta Bites
  13. Lighting is 8 watt fluorescent lamp for 12 hours per day
  14. My fish has cloudy eyes causing temporary blindness and canít see where itís going or any food I try feeding it. The irises are as black as the pupils. Breathing is slightly faster than normal. Spends more time on the substrate than before. All symptoms onset started gradually after first 5 days from purchase. Fish vigorously ate blood worms on first day in the aquarium and explored the aquarium very actively.
  15. pH: 7.4 (Wardley Junior pH freshwater test kit measures between 6.2 and 7.4) Ammonia: 0 ppm, Nitrite: 0 ppm, Nitrate: 0 ppm (Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate were tested with Aquarium Pharmaceuticals liquid test kits)

The last time I bought a fish was in the spring of 2006. In the store, the fish was not very active but he was only in a cup.
Please help me figure this out. I will try to answer all your questions.

plessans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:49 AM   #2 
Cody

Your diet is all wrong. Blood worms should be only offered once a week, and you are feeding marine food. You need him on a betta-special pellet diet.

You alos either have a faulty test kit, or you tested wrong. It is impossible to not have nitrates in a FW tank. Retest that, please.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #3 
Nataku

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessans View Post
  1. 5.5 gallons
  2. Last water change: today; 3 quarts
  3. Water changes once per week
If you are keeping your fish in a 5.5 gallon you need to be doing more than a 3 quart water change once a week. The water is probably dirty (and I question any test reading that reads perfect zeroes across the board) and this may well be the problem. Change at least 2 gallons twice a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessans
My fish has cloudy eyes causing temporary blindness and canít see where itís going or any food I try feeding it. The irises are as black as the pupils. Breathing is slightly faster than normal. Spends more time on the substrate than before. All symptoms onset started gradually after first 5 days from purchase. Fish vigorously ate blood worms on first day in the aquarium and explored the aquarium very actively.
Okay, this needs some clarification. "Temporary" blindness. Is he able to see things sometimes and other times not? How do you know?
The cloudy eyes, does it come and go, or is it always there since it first showed up? I am assuming the black irises and pupils are what you were referring to before the cloudiness set in? Or did you mean something else by that?
Inspect the fecal matter if you can. Is it present? Color? No little worm looking things in it are there?
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #4 
Chicklet

No Nitrates, Plain and simple, Tank is not cycled yet,

Takes way more then two weeks to cycle a tank unless you have media from another tank that is cycled.

Cycled tanks will have Nitrates,
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:45 PM   #5 
plessans

First of all, I would appreciate if you guys were a little more polite.

Cody,
the 0 nitrates was a typo. That's my fault. Corrected Nitrates: 40-80 ppm. I also stated that I'm switching to special betta food.

Nataku,
Also, when I say the tank has been set up 2 weeks it means it's been fully cycled for 2 weeks. It took me 6 weeks to get there. 2 gallons (36%) per week is too much in my opinion. I did 10-15% / week water changes on my 65 gallon coral reef tank for the 2.5 years it was up and running and it was fine. Please disregard the "temporary" in temporary blindness. I didn't know what I was talking about. When talking about the irises, shouldn't one be able to see the irises in any healthy fish and not have trouble differentiating between the irises and pupils? I haven't seen any feces yet.

Chicklet, the tank is cycled. It was a typo. Nitrates: 40-80ppm
Old 04-22-2009, 10:03 PM   #6 
onekatietwo

Hmm. Well, I don't know much about Bettas yet so I can't help you.
But I think your tank still might be 'dirty'. I think generally you have to change water in a much higher quantity and much more often in a small tank than in a larger one. 65 gallon tank is much closer to a natural ecosystem than a tiny tank which, even if it is cycled, is still closer to a bucket of water, you know?
I don't have much experience with smaller tanks, but with that, I think it is much easier for the cycle to be broken, so you probably do have to be very careful about not changing too much water.

But, anyway, the only thing I have ever read about cloudy eyes has always been attributed to poor water quality or overcrowding, so I guess I'm not any help but here's a link that might help?

http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/fish_diseases/eyes.html
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:31 PM   #7 
Campbell

Is the eye just cloudy or does it appear to have a thick film over it? If it's the later it's defiantly water quality.
And I don't think the previous posts were rude. They were telling you what they thought was wrong, and that's no reason to get defensive. There's always room for improvement.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:23 PM   #8 
plessans

Okay, so I diagnosed that he had dropsy cuz his scales were poking out, his body was very bloated compared to when I first got him a little over 2 weeks ago, breathing fast, couldn't see, and wasn't eating at all. Yesterday was the first time he remained near the water surface for oxygen and when I woke this morning he was dead. I didn't even get a chance to give him anitbiotics. He started going blind about 1.5 weeks ago and the symptoms gradually started appearing and gradually worsened. My Ammonia in the tank was still 0 ppm, Nitrites 0 ppm, and Nitrates 40 ppm.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:14 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about your fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:19 PM   #10 
Campbell

That's to bad.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote