Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2009, 12:47 AM   #11 
Cody

40-80ppm of trates is very high. Especially in a 5.5G tank. The only way I see that happening in such a small tank is because of lack of maintenance, or bad tap water which should be tested in the first place.

Also for your information, there is no cure for Dropsy once it is the "pinecone" stage. 99% of the time, it is fatal. For any fish as well, and the upraised scales always stay.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:18 AM   #12 
Haeclark

meh...in his defense, I believe Cody was a tad bit harsh...there is a way of given people information for improvement, and a way of making them feel like crap / stupid...I believe Cody did the ladder, not the first.

In any case, first of all...truly sorry to hear about your Betta. :'S
It always is sad to hear about someones loss of any type of pet, especially when they had good intentions.
However, I noticed that as tough as Betta's are, they can be pretty sensitive as well...cloudy eye to me would indicate bad water, and perhaps more water flushed were needed at a time...especially if once a week meant every 7 days. I think your %'s could have worked...but not every 7 days.
Prob. more like every 4-5 days if only 36% water to be changed. I personally do either 2 50% x2 a week or 1 75% once a week for my 15 gal tank, cutting my tap water with distilled water form the store [80% distilled, 20% treated tap]...mostly due to the amount of fish in the tank, but also as I noticed if anything less, my Betta was prone to fin rot.

The bloat suggest [not positive, but just thinking] that he might have gotten a "bad worm" Not sure if you were giving him frozen, live or freeze dried, but if freeze dried the case, perhaps he ate a worm that was too stiff for his digestive track...if frozen / live...might have simply eaten too many at a time, clogging his d-track. Any case, bloat is typically caused by over feeding, thus the reason I thought that.
I have seen it in a few guppies I was given from my prev. boss...but sad to hear your Betta getting it.

If bad tap water the case...Cody especially shouldn't be so harsh, as I didn't know about the high amount of iron in our tap water until another resident notified me. Where I live, you cannot buy anything that tells you those sort of things, and there is no one / place you can take it to for real testing. The only places I have found test-stripes for things such as chlorine, etc, were old jobs...nothing I have seen being for iron levels.

Either way...if it was the tap water, perhaps something such as distilled water, etc would be better next time around.
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:25 AM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

I wouldn't go with straight distilled water since it lacks the minerals that fish need. Bloat is one of the symptoms of dropsy.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:25 AM   #14 
Haeclark

was just wondering...was your Betta "fat" before he became all piny looking? Just wondering. If so, was it for very long? Or did it happen pretty fast?

[also FYI ;D ] I have actually heard of a few rare cases where people have been able to make their Betta survive with dropsy. Of course, their lives not nearly the length of a 100% healthy Betta...but alive non-the-less. Cant remember if it was this forum or another Betta forum, but it took him allot of TLC meds and patience, and he had updated about his Betta not passing from it. [haven't read about it recently, so not sure of their status as of current times]
Old 04-26-2009, 07:27 AM   #15 
Haeclark

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I wouldn't go with straight distilled water since it lacks the minerals that fish need. Bloat is one of the symptoms of dropsy.
no, but meant that perhaps 100% of the water he had wasn't working either, and to also use something different.
Thus why I explained how I changed my tank ;D
sorry if it was confusing xD
Old 04-26-2009, 07:32 AM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

Its probably ok if its mixed with other water but straight distilled water isn't good. I don't think dropsy can be "cured" but I think I've heard that if its caught in the early stages you can treat them and prolong their life.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:32 AM   #17 
onekatietwo

Oh no. :(
Ugh, I hope I never have to deal with this. It's really gross and kind of creeps me out. Not to mention it's sad.

But yeah, going from a 65 gallon tank to a 5 gallon tank takes some adjustment. It seems opposite, but in a way, a five gallon tank is going to take a little more maintenance as I mentioned in my last post.

Best of luck!
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:56 AM   #18 
Chicklet

Quote:
40-80ppm of trates is very high. Especially in a 5.5G tank. The only way I see that happening in such a small tank is because of lack of maintenance, or bad tap water which should be tested in the first place.

Also for your information, there is no cure for Dropsy once it is the "pinecone" stage. 99% of the time, it is fatal. For any fish as well, and the upraised scales always stay.
I tend to agree with what Cody said,

Quote:
meh...in his defense, I believe Cody was a tad bit harsh...there is a way of given people information for improvement, and a way of making them feel like crap / stupid...I believe Cody did the ladder, not the first.
You want the truth, He gave it, Sorry if that's to blunt for some,

Quote:
Cody especially shouldn't be so harsh
If people can't take a reality shot then maybe they shouldn't be here asking for help/advice in the first place.
Truth is never easy to take sometimes,
But you still have to deal with it, Or run away and solve nothing.

Did you come for the Truth, Or filtered misconception.

Last edited by Chicklet; 04-26-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:14 AM   #19 
Haeclark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post
I tend to agree with what Cody said,

You want the truth, He gave it, Sorry if that's to blunt for some,

If people can't take a reality shot then maybe they shouldn't be here asking for help/advice in the first place.
Truth is never easy to take sometimes,
But you still have to deal with it, Or run away and solve nothing.

Did you come for the Truth, Or filtered misconception.
yes well, being "blunt" only proves you to also be as ass...
I prefer not to make myself out to be one.../but if that's your preferred method...to each their own.

I prefer to answer their questions with out making them feel completely stupid...after all, you too once didn't know much either...

but w/ever...there is no arguing with trolls...it means they win, so I'll stop with that.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

Some people hear only what they want to hear.