Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #1 
FrankieandRoseForever

Help on tank upgrrade?

The dollar per gallon sale hs started today at Petco, so it was the perfect time to get Frankie's new 10 gallon! I have a mesh lid for the cover already (it just has to be rinsed, was recently used for a hamster) so I just had to buy the tank and more gravel. Frankie is currently in a 5 gallon tank (which will be given to Rose), and Rose is in a 1g corner tank. I was wondering if I can get tips and help on how to upgrade Frankie, including adding water and cycling. Thanks!
FrankieandRoseForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:04 AM   #2 
Sereya

For cycling, you can simply move their old filters into the new tanks with them, then you have essentially brought your cycle with you. Just don't let them dry out.

Move fish and all or most of their water into the new tanks and just finish filling the tanks with new treated water temperature matched of course. This way they can adjust slightly better without the shock of a 100% water change.
Sereya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:28 PM   #3 
FrankieandRoseForever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereya View Post
For cycling, you can simply move their old filters into the new tanks with them, then you have essentially brought your cycle with you. Just don't let them dry out.

Move fish and all or most of their water into the new tanks and just finish filling the tanks with new treated water temperature matched of course. This way they can adjust slightly better without the shock of a 100% water change.
The problem is, I don't have their old tanks cycled. I'm kind of confused about the whole thing, and how I should start. I was going to add the filter into the ten gallon.

I'm letting the water sit out and get room temp before I start today. Thanks for all the help!
FrankieandRoseForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:56 PM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

If you're using the same tapwater as they were in, it's OK to use all new water. There's not much difference. It's better to have the water in the tank up to tank temperature (78* to 80*).

Cycling is easy. Both tanks should be cycled. You will need a filter for each tank.
CYCLING: the two-sentence tutorial
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote