Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #1 
Haleigh

Can Moss Balls Go Bad?

Hello all! I bought a moss ball about a month ago. I put it in with my betta Tully, but the new algae wasn't really sticking and made a mess. I've had it back in its original cup and have since done a few water changes. I just upgraded my new betta to a larger tank and was thinking of giving the moss ball another try. Could it be "bad" now since it has been sitting on the counter for a month?
Haleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #2 
xjenuhfur

No.

But I don't quite understand when you say that the algae wasn't 'sticking'?
The balls don't really do anything beneficial for our tanks, they are just kinda cool to look at.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #3 
Haleigh

Well, the new algae wasn't sticking to the ball. It would float around the tank and get sucked into the filter, blocking it up.

I thought they were beneficial to tanks. If it doesn't do anything to help the cycling process, I won't bother.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Real Marimo Balls don't have any sort of actual ball inside of them, it is quite literally a rolled up piece of algae so if you say there is a ball in it then it's not real.

Real Marimo's actually do help with tanks just like any other plant does, even algae plays a roll in helping to eat nitrates. Any and all plants will help the cycle process but you need to have enough to achieve a Silent Cycle if that's what you're going for, otherwise it won't really "help" the cycle per se but it won't hurt nothing either.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #5 
Haleigh

The one I have is a real Marimo Ball. I just meant that algae was coming off from the base. I'll put it in the tank and see if it helps at all. I'm sure Remmy will like having it. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh and you do have to take it out, swish it in some old tank water, roll it around in your hands a plop it back into the tank. And then every now and then you have to move it around so the bottom doesn't get brown because it can die. Don't know if you knew all that or not
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote