Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #11 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Plants prefer ammonia/ammonium over anything else. And they process it faster than the bacteria can. With enough (growing) plants, you may never get much bacteria. Just enough for back-up is all you need.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #12 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Plants prefer ammonia/ammonium over anything else. And they process it faster than the bacteria can. With enough (growing) plants, you may never get much bacteria. Just enough for back-up is all you need.
I added two more swords, another moneywort and something else.. but I can't remember the name it was the "green" version of it though. I think PetCo also sells it as a Betta Plant.

I also added 3 Ramshorns. I'm super psyched as these are my first Ramshorns and I LOVE Ramshorns.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:59 AM   #13 
Hallyx
Reference Team

At the cooler temperature your stocking list suggests you'll be running, even Anacharis and hornwort will flourish and not melt.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #14 
NeptunesMom

I tested the water last night, and the nitrates are down to around 40, the ammonia is now at 0. My nitrite test fell over and spilled before I got a chance to finish it. I'm going to do a water changes, remove the dead shrimp... and add some Platys today. Crossing fingers it works. I'm thinking I'll pick up another few Marimo Moss Balls while I'm at it.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #15 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Sounds like you're on your way. Love to see pics when you've got it finished and stocked.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #16 
NeptunesMom

I did a 2 g water change, and added three platties. I acclimated for an hour. I usually base my speed on the fish, and I went pretty fast because they were being very active. Even as I mixed tank water they were still cruising around their bags trying to get out to explore the tank.

I asked for only females, but I think I got a male in there too. Oh well, it still is an okay ratio.

I think I killed one of my surviving two ghosties though. . I put another inch of sand into the tank, and I think I buried him. There is only one little ghostie left.

My plan is to get 4 Green Corys tomorrow to add. I was going to have Dwarf Loaches for my bottom dwellers, but I think the Corys are kind of cute, and my boyfriends name is Corey so I think he'll like them.