Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #21 
dramaqueen
Banned

I use Hikari bio gold and I just got Hikari micro pellets for Blue Bonnet, since she's so small she can't eat the regular pellets. She tries to eat them but they keep popping out of her mouth.I also have the Hikari daphnia in a great big container.I imagine the frozen food would be good quality. By the way, does anyone know if they are doing away with the bio gold? My Petsmart doesn't seem to have it anymore.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:45 PM   #22 
MarieBettaMom

My local PetSmart sells Hikari Bio Gold pellets. And I see it available from the PetSmart and PetCo websites. Hopefully your store is just a little slow to restock their shelves.

Not realizing how little a Betta eats, I made the newbie mistake of buying a large 28 gram canister of Betta pellets (Top Fin brand). I looked at those small packages, like your 2.8 gram Hikari Bio Gold, and thought I would go through it very quickly. Now I know better!

I guess those larger containers are for people with A LOT of Betta fish. The smaller package would have been fine for my one Betta.
MarieBettaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:23 PM   #23 
Chicklet

Quote:
Hmmm...wonder if my pet store sells live brine shrimp. I imagine it would be quite interesting to watch Bettas go after them. (And does anyone remember how they used to try to sell brine shrimp as "Sea monkeys"?)
Geeze I remember that when I was a kid, Never bought any tho, :)
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #24 
gbeauvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieBettaMom View Post
Anyhow, while at the store I found the airline tubing you were referring to earlier (didn't notice it during my visit 3 days ago) and I also looked at heaters. I think I saw the one you got, it's all black, with a red twisty temp setter on the top, sells for about $35. I don't remember the brand name. They had the 50-watt heater in stock. Looking at the table on the back of the package, it indicates that the 25-watt heater is good for up to 8 gallons (iirc) and the 50-watt heater is good for up to 15 gallons (iirc). The store did not have any 25-watt heaters in stock.

So here's my question:

Will a 50-watt heater be too big in a small 2 gallon tank?
(making it overheat or something? be too hot? ... another thought just occurred to me, I should have made a note of how tall the 50-watt heater was to see whether it will fit in my tank)

I'm thinking it might be safer to get the 25-watt heater.
I checked the brand (before throwing away the package) and it was a top-fin heater. It was about $18 at my petsmart... they had "stealth" heaters that were more like the price on the one you saw (and stealth heaters are indeed all black). They had the 25 watt top fin too, but it was only $1 cheaper, and I wanted a heater that I could move to the 10 gallon tank later.

If I had no plans of going bigger than the 5 gallons I probably would have gone with the 25 watt, but the 50 watt is in there right now and seems to be doing a pretty good job. It takes up most of the back of the tank (it's set diagonally) but the 25watt wasn't much shorter.

-Rick
gbeauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #25 
MarieBettaMom

The store didn't have the 25-watt in stock when I went there, so I had no idea how much shorter it was compared to the 50-watt. I ordered the 25-watt heater and can't wait for it to arrive. I may end up putting it in diagonally if it is too long. I just realized that I don't have enough power outlets, I will need to get a powers trip to plug everything in.

You were smart to get the bigger heater, so you have the option of upgrading to a larger tank. I've been looking at the photo gallery of everyone else's tank setup and am thinking about possibly upgrading in the future. Not too large, I have limited space here.

I added the 2nd plant to George's tank when I changed his water. I think he really likes it. It's bigger and gives him more places to hide. I keep finding myself looking at more decorations. I'm want to have a nice little collection to rotate through each time I change his water ... you know, so he doesn't get bored looking at the same stuff in his home.
MarieBettaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #26 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had to put my heater in diagonally because it wouldn't fit in my tank any other way.I've unplugged it for now because my room is warming up pretty good for summer.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote