Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #1 
snowflake311

Heat tape or space heater?

Its still warm here and I have some time before the snowfalls but not much. I live in Tahoe. I have a room all set up to be a fish room. Only problem is that The ceilings are high and it has high windows.

Well here this is the room I need to keep warm. It no longer has a crib in it my daughter took the other room. This room is storage and Racks for fish now.

The room it's self is not that big. Its just there is Very little insulation in the ceiling and that show wall is a window. So any ideas on the best way to keep this room warm?

I was thinking heat tape might be best. OR insulate the ceiling and put up curtains to keep the windows from being too drafty.

Space heater or Heat tape what's best and why?

Last edited by snowflake311; 07-24-2013 at 11:35 PM.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I may not be the best person to answer this because I have never heated my fish which are always outside. But considering that you want to heat the whole room, I'd go with a space heater. I'm not sure how heat tapes work but to my knowledge it is limited. So you will need a number of them to heat several tanks. . . . Perhaps the real question is how many tanks are you talking about here?
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:22 AM   #3 
snowflake311

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
I may not be the best person to answer this because I have never heated my fish which are always outside. But considering that you want to heat the whole room, I'd go with a space heater. I'm not sure how heat tapes work but to my knowledge it is limited. So you will need a number of them to heat several tanks. . . . Perhaps the real question is how many tanks are you talking about here?
good question, this would be mainly for spawning tanks and jars. I have other tanks in different parts of the house.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #4 
shannonpwns

This is something that I'm trying to figure out too. I don't know what would be best, to set up heat tape, or to heat the whole room...heating the whole room with a space heater would seem easier, and less cords...but possible high electricity bills.

Anyone used a space heater? And what temperature did you keep the room at to maintain the water temp?

I know right now in my house it is 77F and water temp is 69F. As a test I've left out a 1 gal (empty) tank of water and have been checking the temp. This morning the temp was 72 in my house and tank water was 68. So there's a big difference between water and air temps.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #5 
Ilikebutterflies

It's nice to have an entire space to use for fish isn't it? Something else you may want to consider is a water source and a utility tub. It's gonna get old fast having to carry buckets to the bathroom/kitchen.
How cold does that room get in the winter? If the room gets pretty cold heat tape is going to cause the containers to heat unevenly I would think. I think a space heater would be better. I like those oil filled radiator heaters that Lowes and Home Depot sells. They don't get hot enough to catch on fire and don't take a lot of electricity to heat an entire room. One will heat a 12x14 room easily. We use them in
the hunting cabin in the winter.

I just wanted to say that is a beautiful room and I'm sure you don't want to lose the aesthetics of the beams/boards showing in the ceiling. I think that would take away from the room...
What you could do is frame up the areas in between the beams-say with a 2x4 turned on it's side so you get 4" of space you can insulate, staple in some rolled fiberglass insulation then nail some tongue in groove boards(stained to match the beams) over the 2x4's.

Also, heat rises so a fan mounted up towards the ceiling would help circulate the air and cause your heater to run less.

Last edited by Ilikebutterflies; 07-25-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #6 
snowflake311

I do have one of those oil filled heaters.

Our home temp is like 65 in the winter and up stair it might get 60 at night or 58 on really cold nights.

Plastic or glass what holds heat better?

The bathroom is really clost to the room so it's not too bad I already have tanks up there now.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #7 
Ilikebutterflies

Glass holds temperature IME. I think a space heater is the way to go. You may not need to insulate the ceiling if there is less than 10 degrees between the whole house and that room. Just watch for moisture build up. The tanks causing high humidity in there coupled with the space heater may cause a moisture problem against the colder ceiling. In that case you will have to insulate or run the risk of mold.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #8 
snowflake311

I don't worry too much about humidity. it's so so so very dry here in the winter. I will be sitting in my fish room to keep from drying out myself haha.
I hope it will not be a problem.

Thanks I will use the heater I already have one too .
Old 07-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #9 
Myates

I use heat tape, that way (especially on a second story during the summer) the room doesn't become unbearable to work in :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #10 
snowflake311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
I use heat tape, that way (especially on a second story during the summer) the room doesn't become unbearable to work in :)
But what is more efficient? Because the summers he are not that hot 90f is rare most of the time it is 80-85 with cool nights.