Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2009, 06:27 PM   #1 
onekatietwo

Snails?

I have a five gallon tank that houses my dear Betta. I've heard that snails help to keep the algae down. Is this true?
Are snails even compatible with snails? Do you think I should get one?
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:40 PM   #2 
tmariexo922

Snails (Apple snails aka Gold/Blue/Black/Ivory mystery snails) do keep down the algae and they also eat the fish poopie...however, keep in mind that since they are eating they are pooping too. it can look untidy when you got snail turds on your glass but ultimately their by product hasnt been a hassle. it falls off the glass soon. i have a gold snail and blue snail and also a teeny baby snail that stowed away on a plant i brought home in a 10 gal tank and my bettas dont mess with em. only thing is you may have a betta that will take a bite @ their antennae so just keep a look out. id advise getting just one, no more than two.. start with one and see how you like it. im not positive how much they eat but two snails to one fish sounds like competition for food but they can also be fed algea wafers (the ones you give to those sucky algae fish), they go nuts on those. FYI snails are awesome to watch...they do some pretty cool stuff under water.
tmariexo922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:46 PM   #3 
518boo

Thanks for the info on the snails. I have several in different tanks and I didn't know they eat the poop.
518boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:55 PM   #4 
tmariexo922

no prob...here to help...if and where i can
Old 04-23-2009, 08:08 AM   #5 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Apple snails are less effective for an algae eater compared to nerites. If you want a snail, keep 1-2 nerites only but do supplement them with extra algae afterwards since they will not eat commercial foods unless you are lucky yours of hundred nerites will eat a pellet enthusiastically which rarely happens. The other option is pea-flavored snail jello.

I will not recommend apple snails with bettas. Bettas are very poor tankmates for snails to be honest. They prefer soft water as hard water required for these snails will increase their chances of suffering finrot and other bacterial infections.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:47 AM   #6 
onekatietwo

Thanks for the info, guys! I wish I could actually trust people at the petstore and aqurium place so I could just ask THEM these questions.

And sorry about my typo up there. Of course I meant "Are snails even compatible with bettas".
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:49 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Unfortunately, people at petstores know nothing. People here have experience and know what they're talking about.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #8 
tmariexo922

Actually...this is a better explanation...enjoy

http://www.applesnail.net/content/care.php
Old 04-25-2009, 12:44 PM   #9 
Campbell

I hate snails. They seem to make more of a mess than they clean up. They also have tons of babies, so many that they can eventually take over your tank.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:36 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't care for them either.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote