Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #1 
2LittleFishies

Question Baby Biorb and Other New Tank Options for 2 new bettas?

Hello! First post here

Fish #1) (7 yo old named "her" Bubble Gum...) He is really a male in our Baby Biorb (4 gallons) for 2 days now. I have read a bit since putting him in that Baby Biorbs aren't suitable for bettas due to surface bubbles and the current. HOWEVER, our betta seems SO happy! He is swimming around a lot, looks peaceful, is going up to eat (there are a lot of surface bubbles (tiny)... Water is heated to 78 degrees.
I don't want him in a bad environment but he seems happy : ) Am I missing something? OH, also the BiOrb uses those large pieces of ceramic media for the bottom. I'm wondering if they are too scratchy for him? He doesn't rest on the bottom from what I've seen.

Fish #2) While buying my daughter's Beta my 5 yo son said he wanted one so He got a male named "Landon". I bought a Tetra One Gallon Aquarium for him. Unlike Bubble Gum who is in the BiOrb, Landon isn't moving around much at all although more today than yesterday. He is eating. I only have those flat marbles on the bottom of tank but no plants or anything which I will get! Maybe it's just too empty... and I'm thinking 1 gallon is too small? (I thought compared to some of those cup sized tanks 1 gallon would be fine!) Also, no heater as people said it wasn't needed. Now I am reading differently.

SO, do you think that with adding plants he will perk up? The water is sooo still but I read that they like that. (Even though Bubble Gum in the Biorb has more current and seems happy!) I'm thinking of getting Fish #2 (Landon) a Fluval Spec or Aqueon Evolve 4. Maybe he just needs more space. He just sits on the bottom most of the time...

Any suggestions are welcomed!
2LittleFishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #2 
jesssan2442

he is most likely cold! you should get a heater as soon as possible!

the longer the tank the better! If you want something that looks really nice maybe you should consider getting a deep blue professional tank, the 2.3g divided into 5 compartments are a great choice if you remove all of the glass dividers, bettas prefer length over depth and that tank is very long! another long tank would be the petco 6.6g book shelf tank!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #3 
ismintis

Fish #1) Sounds like he is doing great! You have a heater and a suitable sized tank so I see no problem. I think as long as the water level is lower it will give Bubble Gum more surface area to get oxygen. If he doesn't look like he is struggling to swim because of the current or having trouble eating his food with the bubbles I think he will be just fine :)

Fish #2) I suggest getting a larger tank, a one gallon is okay but they require you to do many water changes per week. I have a Fluval Spec iii and really like it! The filter is virtually silent and the light is very bright for live plants.
I think he needs plants to feel safe and hide. He is probably very stressed out in an empty tank. An adjustable heater is also necessary. 25 watts is good for that sized tank as you need the water to be above 75 degrees.
ismintis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #4 
2LittleFishies

jessan- Yes, I will get him a heater! Thanks!

ismintis- Thanks for posting! How many water changes will I have to do while using the one gallon tank? Also, If I heat the tank won't I also have to heat the water for water changes? Yes, I'm leaning towards the Fluval spec iii. How do you feel about the corners of the tank having those strips of black or white vs a tank that has clear corners?
Old 07-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #5 
gbose

2little,

I think 1 G is really too small. It's uncomfortable for your fish and needs a lot of maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc). Can you manage a 2.5 or -- still better a 5G?
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:53 PM   #6 
ismintis

For a one gallon you should do two 50% changes and one 100% change per week I would think. But it's a lot of work and it is pretty small for your fish as gbose stated, so in the future it would be great to upgrade.

If you get an adjustable heater you don't have to heat the water before you put it in the tank. Just add water conditioner and you're good.

After much debate I ended up buying the white Fluval Spec iii because of the size and good reviews. I also saw one on display at PetCo and decided to try it out. I actually thought it was a deal breaker that it wasn't a nice curved glass. But surprisingly I don't mind the strips at all! I love the tank and its now a personal favorite. If you have any other questions on it feel free to ask :)

Last edited by ismintis; 07-28-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:33 AM   #7 
2LittleFishies

OK, I was worried about heating the new water for water changes. Wouldn't putting a fish that is in 78 degree water into unheated tap water be a shock?

Yes, I am going to get him out of the 1 gallon but in the meantime want to do the water changes.

I'm going to look at some tanks today... When setting up a new tank, should I try to cycle it first or just put the fish in for the cycle? I did read the sticky that discussed the 5 ways to cycle. Also, I have the ceramic media substrate from the Biorb. Should I add some to a new tank to cycle faster? I did read somewhere that small tanks can cycle very quickly!

Thanks so much!
Old 07-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #8 
ismintis

Well for the water changes you don't just throw him in, you have to acclimate him to the water. So use the cup that he came in and float it in the water with him inside for about 30-60 minutes. That will make his water the same temperature as the tank and it will give the water enough time to heat up to about 78 degrees.

You can do a cycle with fish in, that's what I am doing. My cycle is for the 2.6 gallons and lasts 6-8 weeks. Every week you do one 50% water change until your cycle is complete. After the 6-8 weeks you only have to siphon the bottom, scrub the sides for algea, and a weekly change of about 30%. You don't have to do a big water change until around a year, but only 90%. Cycles make water changes really easy :)

I wouldn't worry about the media from the Biorb, just make sure you have at least one live plant to make the cycle complete. I don't know if small tanks cycle faster, but I'm having no problems with mine!
Old 07-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #9 
2LittleFishies

Thanks for the info! Can you explain about plants making the cycle complete? I've never had live plants in my tanks...
Old 07-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #10 
xjenuhfur

I have the baby biorb, I actually ended up having the ceramic medium on the bottom and just covering its roughness up with smooth black river rocks.
I'm not using it currently, but that's mainly because I'm going to be moving soon.

Its possible to use the regular heaters in the biorbs as well, just make sure they have suction cups. The ones that are 'specially designed' for the biorb are just overpriced (the plants too). I've never changed the filter media except ONCE when I broke the tank down for over a month. Now its been out of comission for a few months.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote