Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #1 
kimt

Missing Betta

I went to feed the bettas this morning and my giant betta is missing. I have searched all around his tank and no sign of him. I'm guessing my cat got him. She was a rescue from a night market in Thailand and she is much scrappier than your average cat. I had caught her numerous times on top of the tank but he would always swim to the bottom where she couldn't get to him. I'm sad, I was quite fond of him. He was a gift from my husband and son for Mother's day. He was an unusual color for a giant. Pale pink with red fins and blue eyes.
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #2 
tigerhappy26

I'm sorry to hear that.Do you have a lid on your tank?If not it could have maybe jumped out.
tigerhappy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #3 
kimt

I do have a lid. There is a small exposed area in the back for the filter. He may have jumped out. If he did, she got him because he is nowhere to be found. I have even moved out the hutch to look behind it. I am in the process of moving another betta into that tank since it is a 10 gallon and I will tear down the 3 gallon one he is in now. I will switch hoods with my other 10 gallon. It was a 10 gallon kit from petco and it had a flat hood. My other 10 gallon is on the counter and there isn't enough room for my cat to get on top of it now. While she can still get on top of it with the other hood, there is no exposed area she can get to now on the other hood.
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #4 
Briz

Have you checked inside the filter?

I have found my most crafty boy inside a Whisper 10i filter twice! After that, moved him to a compartment in my divided tank without a filter. -_-
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #5 
Moonshine357

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Moonshine357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #6 
Riverotter

Definitely look inside the filter, and also inside all decorations.
I have had many cats, and many fish, for many years, and only had one incident of a cat swiping a fish out of a tank. It was actually a bowl and he could reach in from everywhere on the top and see all around the top and went a bit nuts.
Even so, that was when he was a kitten. he's 7 now and that was it.

It really is almost never the cat. Keep looking, I've found some fish in weird places. I once had a betta jump out and flop an amazing distance. When I found him he was dry and I sorrowfully went to flush him when his whole body convulsed and I realized he was still alive! I got him in water and gave him lots of TLC. All his fins sloughed off and he was a sorry sight, but he lived for several more months after that.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #7 
shannonpwns

Omg! I hope he is just hiding reaaaallllllly well in the tank! Please update on his status! :(

Maybe look in the cats mouth...maybe there's some kind of sign that she did in fact get the fish, and you can have some peace of mind knowing what happened. Probably not, but you never know...
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #8 
PetMania

Definetly look EVERYWHERE in the tank. I was looking for my female, Snowflake, and I was searching forever. She had gone into a silk plant and attached herself to one of the leaves.
Bettas are excellent at hide and seek.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #9 
trilobite

I had one get stuck under a rock and drown...definitely take everything out and have a big hunt
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #10 
PetMania

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite View Post
I had one get stuck under a rock and drown...definitely take everything out and have a big hunt
I've had goldfish do that, too.
Dig, dig, dig, dig.......oh wait, how am I supposed to get out?
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote