Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2009, 09:08 AM   #1 
Lil Betta

Frustrated

Hey guys......

Well, I am about as frustrated as I can get!

I have done everything you guys suggested! I think the fungus is
spreading. My lil fish is active, eating really well, wiggles when
I get to work and come up to the tank. I bought bloodworms
for him last week and he gets a treat every other day and loves it!
But, it looks like his patches aren't better and looks like to me, they are spreading!

I have no idea what to do! I put the Mardel in the water and have been for the last week....a teaspoon. I added the aquarium salt. The water is
clear and clean. What do I do??????? aaaaggggghhhhhh!!!!
Lil Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:23 AM   #2 
Bettafish

What type of fish is he?
Bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #3 
Lil Betta

Well, I am not sure....here is a picture of what he looks like.
This is not my fish. Mine has some red in his fins.....

Lil Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #4 
onekatietwo

Could it possibly be a type of bacteria that looks like a fungus? I think there are quite a few of them that inflict Bettas. If it is bacteria, a fungus killer won't touch it.
This is somewhat counter intuitive, but if you have already tried everything else, you might want to try LOWERING the temperature some. What temperature is your aqurium with the sick Betta at now? I dropped mine from 80f-ish to about 75 or 76 and it DRASTICALLY improved my Betta because I think he had a bacterial infection and the bacteria did best in really warm water.
OF course, if it is something else, lowering the temperature won't help because the Betta will have a stronger immune system in warmer water.

If you do try lowering the temperature, make sure you do it SLOWLY, don't got any lower than 74 or 75 and if he doesn't start looking better in a day and a half, slowly start raising it again right away.

Oh, wait. I just read that he is still really active so most of that is probably completely irrelevant to you. Do you have a picture of this in another thread? If he's doing fine, it might be nothing and... maybe some kind of pattern on the Betta that is becoming more obvious as he becomes healthier.
Excuse me if this is wrong, I didn't read your last post.
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #5 
onekatietwo

I just went back and read your original post. It sounds like my first idea MIGHT be worth a try in your case (assuming you keep your tank at about 80-ish)
But again, I don't think I would worry about it too much.
Of course, it's a good idea to try to catch things early, but at the same time, in my experience at least, fish are extremely sensitive and any problem is going to have them acting pretty listless and different rather quickly. From what I have read, it's not much different with Bettas.

Either way, good luck!
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:58 AM   #6 
LaniBaby

can you take a pic of your fish and post it? i agree that if you're treating for the wrong thing, the medication won't do a bit of good. fungus/bacteria/parasite are all treated in different ways and you'll need to make sure you're treating for the right thing. if you do a net search for betta diseases, you can come up with some symptom listings and pictures of various betta illnesses. maybe you can better match it to what he has to make sure you're treating for the right thing.
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote