Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #1 
Moonshine357

Heater Reccomendations

I have Moonshine in a 2 gallon critter carrier with rocks, decorations and leaving a little room at the top it's holding 1.75 gallons. I bought this heater http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
It was very scary- I almost made Moonshine soup. I came home the Monday to find his tank temperature around 83. I pulled the heater out and haven't used it since, but I do need a heater because Moonshine's water is a little cold especially in the mornings. What heater options do I have? I live near petco and petsmart. I can also buy off of ebay or amazon.
Moonshine357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #2 
BettaBelle983

I just purchased this heater, http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...1&pcatid=25161. And received it today but haven't started it up yet. Its for tanks of 1.2 gallons.

BettaBelle983
BettaBelle983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #3 
Johnboy33

I've read that temps up to 85 are okay, especially when treating sick fish. Is this Mis-information????
Johnboy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #4 
Moonshine357

My point is that that specific heater's box said it wasn't supposed to heat the water above 80 and it got the tank up to 83.

I think 86 is actually the maximum for bettas. I was hoping someone knew of a heater like the ones they make for larger tanks where you set the temperature on a dial on the top of the heater.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #5 
Samijo

I have a 1 gallon (Just till I can afford a bigger one.) and had to buy a heater that was made for a 10 gallon, and so far it works really good. I live about 45 min away from the nearest pet store or Walmart. Luckily drug mart had this heater.
Attached Images

Samijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #6 
NorthernLights

Get a Hydor Theo 25 watt. You can order them off Amazon or Dr. Foster's and Smith, and they run something like $15. My 25 watt works fine in a 1 gallon and fine in a 3 gallon. I have a 50 watt in the 3 gallon now, and put the 25 watt in a 1.75 gallon.

The Theo heaters are adjustable and very small (about 7" long), reliable, and easy to use. The glass is supposedly shatterproof, and they supposedly switch themselves off if you accidentally take them out of the water without unplugging them (never tested that out).
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #7 
Moonshine357

Awesome! I will look into the Hydro.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #8 
FirstBetta

Smile Heaters for Betta tank

I have several brands of heaters in the three tanks I have. They all have performed well. The best for your application is the one I have in my betta tank, the Hydor 25 watt. I've had it now for about 6 or7 months. The reason I chose it was the length of the heater. It was about 6 or 8 inches while the others were all > 10 inches. They would have worked if I put them in horizontally, but I didn't want that .

All of the reviews for the various heaters I have were about the same which made my choice easier.
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #9 
happypappy

Ditto on the hydor 25 watt....I prefer adjustable to preset
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I agree on the Hydor! It's awesome!

Also Betta's can tolerate temps right up to 90 degree's. I would know, all of my tanks were at 90 during the heat wave we had last two weeks lol and the lowest temp they can handle without becoming really sick is roughly 70-72 but obviously prefer the 80's And for the sick Betta, generally recommended to bump the heat up because it speeds up their metabolism making it easier to fight off the disease however some diseases multiply more in higher temps so then you want to decrease the temp so it depends on the disease.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote