Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #1 
Sokkasmom

This is my only one, Sokka

This is Sokka. I got him this last Sunday at Petco. They had him listed as a double tail half moon male, and looking at pictures of some bettas online, he doesnt look like thats what he is to me. Can anyone tellme what you think he is? was petco right? he doesnt seam to hav the spikes on his dorsal fin like all the other pictures show. So im not sure what he is, but he is pretty.
Attached Images

Sokkasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #2 
Fenghuang

He could be a doubletail. He certainly has the wider dorsal of one. His tail could have some damage to it. I don't know about him being a doubletail halfmoon though. I would need a picture of him flaring to tell you for sure. Halfmoon means that the tail spreads out to 180 degrees.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #3 
Fenghuang

This is my doubletail halfmoon flaring. The pictures were taken by his seller. See how his tail has two lobes and he has a broader dorsal? Those are doubletail characteristics. Also, his tail extends to 180 degree, making him a doubletail halfmoon.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #4 
Sokkasmom

I cant get my guy to flare. like at all. thats the biggest he has gotten, so i dont know if he will flare up like your pictures or not. ive put the mirror next to his tank, and he sees it, wants to check out the other fish, but he never gets any bigger...
Old 07-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #5 
Sokkasmom

that is a beautiful fish btw.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #6 
Fenghuang

Yeah, some fish's personalities are just like that. I have a plakat that almost never flares and a veiltail I can get to flare just by standing near his tank. Sometimes, they're surprise you and flare when you least expect it.

And thank you. He has marbled and his colours have changes quite a bit. I think Sokka might get some more colour over time on him too.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #7 
Sokkasmom

when i got him on Sunday he didnt have this much color on him. His fins were clamped, he looked almost grey and white. Now his colors are really coming out. Wish i could get him to flare... he dances for me when he sees me, and he even dances for my cat. but no flare. he about an inch in body lenght (not counting his fins) so im guessing he is mature enough to flare. I dont know really. this is my first betta ever. I thought they all flared and everything...
Old 07-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #8 
Fenghuang

They do all flare. Some are just...lazy. xD Don't worry, he'll flare for you sometime.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #9 
ForbiddenSecrets

Some fish just aren't as aggressive and thus don't really flare often. I had a boy once that seemed to think flaring was undignified while my friend had a girl who would flare at any movement at all.

Sokka might become more active and flare more as his health perks up as well :]
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #10 
jesssan2442

he may still be warming up to his new home! sometimes is can take a week or two before they flare!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote