Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #11 
Viva

Yeah that's true. If he is just gaining some color back then he was probably feeling stressed and icky before. Once he starts feeling better he might flare for you :)
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #12 
Sokkasmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesssan2442 View Post
he may still be warming up to his new home! sometimes is can take a week or two before they flare!
He seams pretty happy in his new home. He even dances. Just no flare. And when I put a mirror infront of him its like he tries, but can't. Hisgils puff out, he shows the black under them, breaths hard but his fins don't perk up any more than he is in that first pic I post on the original post.
Sokkasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #13 
Fenghuang

Keep at it. I typically make my bettas flare once a day by either showing them other bettas or a mirror or my phone (all my bettas go nuts over my phone...probably because it's black; bettas seem to flare a lot at black coloured objects) or wiggling a finger in front of them (all these things work for me). Flaring is good exercise for them and will help them build up muscle. He'll have a stronger flare over time if you exercise him.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 07-25-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #14 
Sokkasmom

Here are some more pics of Sokka, so you can see his top fin better. he neer puffs out more than this, so i dont know if her has the half moon or not... anyone know what his coloring is called?
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #15 
Fenghuang

Looks to be a blue grizzle? Or a messy sort of blue cambodian. There is a chance he might marble and chance colour. Whatever he is, he is a pretty fish.

Maybe he hadn't had an opportunity to stretch his fins. Now that he is in a nice big home, he should build up more strength.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #16 
countyrd419

Does your tank have a light? Rusty my betta just burst in his redness when it is on.
Like others have posted, he might be adjusting to his new home. Also, if the water is really warm (around 80-83 degrees) Sokka will feel good and energize and may flare too.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #17 
Sokkasmom

it doesnt have a light, but i have an old tank lamp i put on him at nights, he seams to like that ok, but he wont come up to the surface if its on. So maybe its to bright for him (it was originally on my old 75 gal tank that got smashed in a move).
I dont really know if thats blue or maybe black on his fins, but its deff color of some kind and not some weird fungus or anything like that, and its slowly starting to fill in.
fenghuang, how long should i be trying to get him to flare at a time? i understand that it can stress him out if i leave the mirror there all the time, and ive only been doing it for a few minutes at a time, a few times a day, normally right after i feed him. is that a good way to start working his fins? should i be doing it longer at one time?
Old 07-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #18 
Fenghuang

A few minutes is perfectly fine. :) Also, if you have a young fish that is near 180 degrees (aka a super delta), exercising him and feeding him good food can help him grow into a halfmoon. Only if he is close, of course. It won't work with a fish that has a significantly smaller spread.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #19 
Sokkasmom

Oh, i didnt know you could help your fish grown into a half moon. I thought their tails were determined by genetics and couldnt grow into a bigger fin. Good to know. Ill keep doing a few minutes with him and the mirror then, hopefully he will get the hang of it. He dances like a champ, so im sure once he gets his flare on he will be beautiful.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #20 
Fenghuang

Technically they would still have to have the genetics. Even two pure halfmoons won't always have all halfmoon offspring. They could have a combination of a deltas, superdeltas, and halfmoons. Likewise, you could still get halfmoons by breeding a superdelta if the genetics are there.

But not all halfmoons start off as halfmoons. It takes a while for a betta to fully grow out its fins and like any other living thing, good nutrition and exercise can help them develop better.