Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #11 
FishyFloorzack

I did say something to management, maybe i should of put that in there so no one would flip out on me. But i may have over reacted. But i did go to the manager and said "These bettas are like any other fish in your tanks, yes the males are unable to be kept together but for one of your employees to keep a dead betta on his desk is insane. At least have some respect for our love in these beautiful fish." After i said that he had said "Ma'am i'm sorry you think of our store in a negative way, but please do understand that we don't have enough tanks for each and every fish" Then i put everything down in my cart and said "Then don't sell them if you can't keep them healthy" and walked out.
FishyFloorzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #12 
Flyby Stardancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersieelizbeth View Post
Id find an aquarium store instead of a petstore
they're usually better with bettas
Not always. The closest LFS to me? Keeps their bettas in either tiny glass display bowls, or in cups that are SMALLER than the ones at petco/petsmart. And for an extra $2, they'll let you take the glass display bowl home to be their permanent home! And the health quality isn't really any better than at the Pet stores either.

The LFS that took proper care of their bettas is no longer in business, or else I would patronize them, despite it being much further and out of the way for me.
Flyby Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #13 
Jersieelizbeth

On my way to walmart and petsmart to nurse the dying fish back to health D:
BUY ALL THE SICK FISH!
I wish I could :/
Jersieelizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #14 
sixcards

What I don't understand is, If their(Petco/Petsmart) insurance will cover the fish if it dies, Why can't they give the fish away if they can see that its on its death bed and it gets written off on their insurance anyhow. At least that is what we were told when we had asked about a sick fish that I wanted to save.
sixcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #15 
FishyFloorzack

You know what. I'm cycling my 10 gallon now, and i'm going to ask if they will give the fish that are dying for free, then i'll nurse them back to health and shove it in their face.

Last edited by FishyFloorzack; 07-25-2013 at 06:58 PM.
FishyFloorzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #16 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
Don't listen to that... person... she is obviously upset at the world and was banned.
Wow! Joined and banned on the same day. That's got to be a record. I've never seen that happen so quickly.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I would write a letter to corporate and inform them of what you saw and the way you were treated.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:04 AM   #17 
NorthernLights

I make it a point to survey the bettas, and point out any dead ones and how dirty the cups are. Usually that shames them into immediate action. I also hang around the betta section listing to other customer's conversations, then casually drop in some helpful info. The best way to convince a parent NOT to get a betta is to mention to the kids who is waving a betta cup at their parent "That fish may be $4, but all the stuff he'll need to be healthy will be at least $100." -- the parents almost universally respond by telling the kid in no uncertain terms that they are NOT getting a fish!
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #18 
karbear625

I wouldn't say that ALL Petsmarts and Petcos are bad. I have a Petco near my house that is amazing! Every time I go the bettas have clean water and they are swimming around. There are a few that die, but they really treat them like kings and queens when they are in those tiny cups. The fish guy at Petco is really great too and knows a lot.
karbear625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #19 
Namialus

All my LFS and local petstores don't treat their bettas nicely, and even their other fish. I've seen guppies sick or dead too, and it's sad. If there were some non-chain stores around here that DO care for their fish, I'd buy stuff from them.
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #20 
percyfyshshelley

I've bought a lot of fish from chain stores and nursed them back to health. Unfortunately a few didn't make it, but most did. I hate seeing them sick in their cups. I dont like to support the stores by buying their bettas, but I try to get my big ticket items at a local store that only carries a few bettas at a type and seems to care for them well.
Good for you for saying something to the management and for caring.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote