Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #1 
darkangel

Stray Cat

I have this stray cat living in my alley, sometimes she comes up our porch and beg for food like today. I gave her a chicken breast and she took it and run off.

my mom thinks we should trap her and send to the SPCA but I think we should leave her alone. she isn't very friendly and the SPCA here isn't no kill so I think if we turn her in, she is going to be put down.

she survives by dumpster diving, we see her going through garbage cans a lot and sometimes people get really mad because she knocks them over and spills it. I feel really sorry for her. she doesn't like people but when she is starving, she will creep around peoples porches and eat food left out for other people's cats or human food left on tables.

in the winter, I always see her huddled under people's cars. poor thing, I was thinking of leaving food out for her but my mom thinks its going to attract a lot of stray cats to our porch. :/

not sure what to do with her, I want to help her out but not sure what I can even do for her. any ideas??
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #2 
registereduser

Seems like you can't do much since Mom controls all.

Feed her all you can and try to keep her warm in winter. If she has been a pet in the past your love and kindness might make her remember she is domesticated. Hope she's already spayed or you will see her have babies soon.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #3 
FishyLady

Yep, mom rules all unfortunately :(

But, maybe you and your mom can come to an agreement of some sort? Have you seen a lot of other cats around? In my area, we have a few, but only two come around my house, and I've been feeding them for years.

I try to feed the others but I think the big momma kitty I feed has marked my house her territory, the only other kitty that wanted to come around was tiny (not her baby or anything) and didn't know any better. She grew attached to them, so they both stay around.

HERE though, in the winters, it's brutal, so they will try to crawl INTO the cars for warmth. I started taking boxes (I get a lot of shipping boxes), wrapping them twice in saran wrap and duct-tape to seal off ALL open edges. After that, I find the clothes i'd toss anyway, and shove a couple in there, eventually the cat will bring what they need in there. I check them about once a day in the winter to make sure no snow has really gotten in there (and leave them out in the summer too).

The boxes last quite a while as long as you saran wrap them up well, and the cats LOVE them. When I check the houses, I always sneak some extra food in there.

Maybe you guys could decide to feed her here and there, and if there's no other cats coming around, continue doing it?

Or if you have no other pets, and your mothers only concern is other strays.. you could give her food, water, and some material to sleep in in your shed/garage... eventually she'd likely come around to you guys. If you try/want to bond with her, definitely use your own clothes, even if it's something you were going to throw out.. wear it for a day. Your scent will stick to it, and she'll grow to be comfortable with you.

Sorry for the huge writeup! Good luck to you and that little kitty :)
FishyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

You are right they will put the cat down if you trap her. Please read this website for information on how your can help her. The box idea is a good one. If you can put up against a building that's even better because some of the heat from the building will warm the box more.

;http://www.alleycat.org/page.aspx?pid=434

Here are more ideas for shelter:

http://www.alleycat.org/page.aspx?pid=434

One of my cats used to be a dumpster diver but he clearly was someones pet at some time. It's taken longer to civilize him but he is a great cat. Cats vary on how tame they will become.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 08-02-2013 at 10:58 PM.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I would trap her and get her spayed (from what I've heard, in the US you can have it done for $10-20 at a specific place?) and let her go again.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #6 
jadaBlu

That is true it can be done cheaply sometimes free and the information on how to do that is included on the website I posted.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

You can do this, it also provides insulation if you want.

Here.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #8 
darkangel

Thanks for the ideas! My mom said we can built her a shelter but she said we shouldn't leave food on the porch because other cats/raccoons might come visit.

I don't have tubs but lots of noodle boxes, so maybe I'll make a shelter with the boxes and some unwanted shirts.

I'm gonna try looking for a TNP in our city and get a trap for her.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote