Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #1 
shannonpwns

Toddlers are a handful...

Im a single mom (with no help at all) to a 20 months old little boy, and he causes a tornado on a daily basis!

Now that he can climb over all of the baby gates that used to keep him trapped in the living room, I can't take my eye off him for a minute...because he also knows how to open the sliding glass door. And loves to climb the ladder to our 4ft deep above ground pool. We have a safety ladder, but we may forget to flip it up one day...I shudder at the thought, and check that thing several times a day to make sure the outer ladder is flipped up. We also have a 3 ft deep pond back there!

Now his new thing is playing in the fish tanks....

The past 5 mins in my house went something like this:
I made some chicken nuggets and mozzarella sticks for lunch, and sat on the couch with him and started snacking while watching Disney channel. There's a 5 gallon tank (no fish yet) on a side table in the living room, he runs over there, looks at me over his shoulder and smiles, flips the lid open and dangles the tips of his fingers in the tank. I tell him "no" and get up to remove him from the situation and he takes off running down the hallway. All the doors are normally closed, so the hallway is usually fine for him to run up and down....almost a minute goes by, and he hasn't come back, so I peer down the hallway and see my bedroom door is open...where all my fish are! So I get up, run into the room right as he is pulling the filter media out of Leonard's tank, with the filter top ripped off in his other hand, he sees me, starts giggling and tosses it on the floor, grabs his blankie and takes off running out of the room....covered in fish water. So I reassemble the filter, make sure Leonard isn't too traumatized and walk back down the hallway to the bathroom to wash my hands and get a cloth to clean my son up with...when he comes walking into the bathroom drinking my red bull.....

I swear, this kid is gonna make me rip my hair out in frustration!! LOL.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

OMG. Lol He's definitely a handful. Very mischievous little guy.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:16 AM   #3 
Shine

Tell me about...my little nephew runs me ragged. Today, we start off by throwing a foam football for at least half an hour followed by a trip to the playground for two hours. Ice cream and juice and then a nap. Before I left, he woke up and wanted to follow me home.
Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:35 AM   #4 
shannonpwns

How cute! How old is he?

Seriously, my little man is such a handful now! I miss the days when he couldn't move yet hahahaha ha.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #5 
Vickytoria3112

Your toddler sounds like my 9 year old son. Except my son was fine till 2 weeks ago. My son is Autistic and he started developing tics (tourette like symptoms) and the Dr removed him from all meds till his neurologist appointment. And OMG, he's been doing strange and wacky and crazy things. Imagine your son bigger, stronger, and able to get into more dangerous things. Plus I have a 12 year old ADHD daughter and a 10 year old Bipolar daughter. I think I sprouted some grey hairs.

I know your pain mama X 3.

Last edited by Vickytoria3112; 07-26-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Vickytoria3112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #6 
Moonshine357

My three year old climbs over all of the baby gates like a little spiderman. He enjoys technology- murdering a cell phone in the dog bowl, dumping soda on a laptop, ect is more his style. He also enjoys unloading toy boxes- 80 percent of my day is forcing him to put things back. I'm kind of terrified of what my life will become in two years I have 8 month old twins. The idea of two three year olds at once makes me want to curl up in a little ball and cry.
Moonshine357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:18 AM   #7 
BittyB

That thing you said about the pool reminds me of this survival floating video I've seen. Worth looking into.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0mUPr68x2U
BittyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:52 PM   #8 
SeaKnight

I have a 9yr old, 6yr old, 5yr old, 21 month old and a Husband who works odd hour split shifts.... The current 21 month old is definitely the worst for the age... Can't tell you how many times I've caught him trying to "feed" the fish, brush the cat, water the dogs (I also have 2 Budgies and a hamster, so you can imagine) or reorganizing the frog tank.... All I can say is, I feel your pain....
SeaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:04 AM   #9 
shannonpwns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickytoria3112 View Post
Your toddler sounds like my 9 year old son. Except my son was fine till 2 weeks ago. My son is Autistic and he started developing tics (tourette like symptoms) and the Dr removed him from all meds till his neurologist appointment. And OMG, he's been doing strange and wacky and crazy things. Imagine your son bigger, stronger, and able to get into more dangerous things. Plus I have a 12 year old ADHD daughter and a 10 year old Bipolar daughter. I think I sprouted some grey hairs.

I know your pain mama X 3.
Oh wow, you've got your hands full! Do you at least have help from a husband? How's your son doing now? (If you see this lol). When is his appt with the neurologist? Hope it goes/went well! *hugs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine357 View Post
My three year old climbs over all of the baby gates like a little spiderman. He enjoys technology- murdering a cell phone in the dog bowl, dumping soda on a laptop, ect is more his style. He also enjoys unloading toy boxes- 80 percent of my day is forcing him to put things back. I'm kind of terrified of what my life will become in two years I have 8 month old twins. The idea of two three year olds at once makes me want to curl up in a little ball and cry.
My son loves technology too, he hasn't done much damage to any yet, besides throwing cell phones on the ground when he's mad. Which is why I won't let him touch my ipad lol. He has also ripped every single key off of an old keyboard, by prying them off with another toy that had a pointy edge! Quite the thinker, LOL. "If I shove this between these two keys and FLIP, the keys come off!" Haha.

Twins! How fun...sometimes. I can't imagine two of my son at once...hopefully your twins will be calm! My niece is 5 weeks younger than my son, and she is soooooo calm and quiet compared to my son! She doesn't do anything bad, and she listens very well. Everything she does is calm and everything my son does is like a hurricane...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BittyB View Post
That thing you said about the pool reminds me of this survival floating video I've seen. Worth looking into.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0mUPr68x2U
Wow that video is amazing...I was crying watching it! I'm going to look into this! Only thing is, when my son is in the pool, I've tried to float him on his back, and he doesn't like it, he freaks out and wants to be straight up and down, or leaning forward. Not sure if its the sun in his eyes, or he's like a cat and auto-flips on his tummy as an instinct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKnight View Post
I have a 9yr old, 6yr old, 5yr old, 21 month old and a Husband who works odd hour split shifts.... The current 21 month old is definitely the worst for the age... Can't tell you how many times I've caught him trying to "feed" the fish, brush the cat, water the dogs (I also have 2 Budgies and a hamster, so you can imagine) or reorganizing the frog tank.... All I can say is, I feel your pain....
Oh wow, talk about having your hands full! Kids are such a joy though! Oh and I love when my bfs son comes over, he's 14 and adores my son, and loves watching him...so that's my only break from this kid who makes me want to rip my hair out! Lol. Does your older kid help out with the younger ones? 9 is still kinda young though I guess. :)

My sons newest thing....is climbing out of his crib. Just starting this tonight... He's actually teetering on the edge right now...but hasn't tried to climb down yet, keeps going back inside the crib. He also stays up late...won't go to sleep on time...EVER!!!!
Old 08-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #10 
Skyewillow

Shannonpwns, mine is 3 and STILL messes with the tanks, I caught him feeding Mike's betta this morning, elbow deep in the same tank over a week ago, if my hammocks aren't in my tanks, he'll put them in the tanks, dropped a perler house I made for someone else's fish in my community and sorority tank, he's dumped a whole container of cichlid pellets in a piranha tank (I sold the piranha after that), a half a bag of goldfish food, netted out fish and dropped them on a matching carpet (took me a while to find the blue fish on the blue carpet).....

I do have a nice long gray hair in my bangs, I pin them up to hide it, and I'm 25 lol

My fiance helps when he's home too, so I get a little relief, but most of the day, it's the terror and I alone.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote