Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #1 
zizzof16

Exclamation My betta fish has fin rot and I dont know how to change his water

Due to what I have read I understand that if you dont change your fishes water very often it doesnt help the fish. Because my fish has fin rot, I would like to know the right thing to do. Please tell me if I should use store bought bottled water like spring, purified or distilled or can I use the softened water out of my faucet (like a water softner that uses salt)?

Please help
zizzof16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #2 
Nataku

So ah, how long exactly have you had this fish now and not changed the water in it's tank? 0_o; And what size tank are we talking about here? Filter? Cycled? Heater?
As a general rule until I have further tank info I'm just going to say 50% twice a week is how often you should be doing water changes, so step to it!

Water changes can be done several different ways, a simple suction tube or a gravel vac/siphon can be run from the tank either straight to a sink (if one is close enough) or to a bucket which can then be dumped in the tub/sink.
Or you can go with the even more simple low-tech version of grabbing a cup and scooping the water out of the tank, cup by cup.

Don't bother with bottled water or any of that crap. It's exactly that, crap. Distilled water is a big no no, you will kill your fish putting them in that. Just use the water out of your faucet and add water conditioner (you can get a bottle at any petstore or even wal-mart, just get one that removes chlorine and chloramines). Add it to the water you are planning to add to the tank as per the dosing instructions it comes with.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #3 
studioskim3

my past six bettas all had fin rot (prob b/c the Irvine, CA water is crap and the ph level is 8.0!!) and what I usually do is add a few drops of melafix into my fish's 2 gal tank and within two days I clean the water ( dump the water and add new tap water, condition it w/ prime water conditioner about 10 drops, and a few drops of salt) and let my betta float for temp adjustment and slowly introduce the new water to the small cup that he is floatin in, and then after a few hours place in him in the new water. then everyday I drop a few drops of melafix and after a 5-7 days do the same process over. This helped my bettas' fin rots stop, but their tails never grow to their former glory.
studioskim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:57 PM   #4 
zizzof16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post
So ah, how long exactly have you had this fish now and not changed the water in it's tank? 0_o; And what size tank are we talking about here? Filter? Cycled? Heater?
As a general rule until I have further tank info I'm just going to say 50% twice a week is how often you should be doing water changes, so step to it!

Water changes can be done several different ways, a simple suction tube or a gravel vac/siphon can be run from the tank either straight to a sink (if one is close enough) or to a bucket which can then be dumped in the tub/sink.
Or you can go with the even more simple low-tech version of grabbing a cup and scooping the water out of the tank, cup by cup.

Don't bother with bottled water or any of that crap. It's exactly that, crap. Distilled water is a big no no, you will kill your fish putting them in that. Just use the water out of your faucet and add water conditioner (you can get a bottle at any petstore or even wal-mart, just get one that removes chlorine and chloramines). Add it to the water you are planning to add to the tank as per the dosing instructions it comes with.
I have had him for a year, but I have changed the water 50% weekly until he got sick. He was in one of those plant vases, but once he got sick he couldnt swim to the top so I put him in one of those very small bowls, like you see them in the pet store. I have been affraid to change the water, because I dont have a conditioner and the pet store people told me to buy a water tester (didnt do it) to determine what kind of conditioner to buy. They also told me to buy the beta fix which I did but it doesnt seem to be fixing anything. How do I put him in a bigger tank if he cant get to the top to breathe? I have never had a filter, heater, cycle or conditioner. He has been fine for a year and all of a sudden BAM he's sick. Trying to figure out what went wrong? And were do I start? Tank? Water? Conditioner? Tester?
zizzof16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:04 PM   #5 
Nataku

Bettafix isn't going to fix anything. Might as well throw it out, t'was awaste of your money which would have been much better spent on a water conditioner.

I have never had a filter, heater, cycle or conditioner.
This right here is probably why your fish is sick. The water conditioner is really not an option. Tap water by federal mandate in the USA (I'm assuming this is where you live) is required to meet a certain chlorine concentration to help ensure nothing is living in the water. Chlorine is toxic to your fish!
The chlorine (or chloramine, depending upon what your local water system uses) levels fluctuate. Water opertors spend many hours EVERY DAY testing and tinkering with the water to adjust the chemical flow rates, because the water the are bringing into their system is not always of the same quality. Sometimes this causes spikes in the chlorine levels. While this spike is still actually very small (it's measured in ppm, parts per million) and harmless to you, it can indeed be the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back" to your fish, and could have sent it over the edge into this wonderful finrot you now have.

Clean water is essential to the health of a fish, especially one with finrot. Go get a water conditioner (one that removes both chlorine and chloramine) and use it on your water before you add it to your betta's tank, and do at least 50% water changes EVERY DAY while the betta has finrot. When they are in those little tiny betta tank things you see at the store, the water gets fouled incredibly quickly. And dirty water = sick fish.

And a heater. Gonna' need one of those too. Bettas are tropical fish. Cold bettas are much more succeptible to all sorts of diseases (like finrot). The betta's water temp needs to be at least 78 degrees.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote