Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #1 
shannonpwns

Ordered a 6in amazon sword and this is what I got...

It was supposed to be a 6 inch amazon sword....but they sent me this 18 inch amazon sword! How the heck am I supposed to fit this in my 5 gal hex???

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  57.1 KB
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #2 
Deanna01

Wow! Where did you order from? I would call and tell them that you only have a 5-gallon tank, but that you appreciate it!
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #3 
shannonpwns

Off of eBay, I only paid $8 with free shipping. I can't believe how big it is. Can I take some leaves off or something and they'll grow roots? I dunno much about aquatic plants.

The ad said 6+ inch amazon sword.... To be fair. Lol. But that's waaaayyyy more than 6+ inches haha
Old 07-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #4 
jeaninel

Amazon Sword grow too big for a 5 gallon. Look for a smaller plant like maybe anubius nana petite. Not a sword but better suited to your size tank.
Posted via Mobile Device
jeaninel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

That is a WONDERFUL sword!!! Too bad you don't have room for it. Maybe if you put it dead center it will spread out. That's what mine did.

There are smaller swords; Echinodorus Parviflorus 'Tropica' only gets to around 6". I have several of these and love them.

ECHINODORUS PARVIFLORUS TROPICA SWORD, rosetta sword plant
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #6 
InfiniteGlory

I picked up a Amazon Compacta in a tube from Petsmart and it was about 4" tall. As I was washing the goop off the roots it split into two. Then it did a melt down for going into a new tank but it quickly recovered. That was back in January....fast forward to now and I have two 9" tall swords that have been grown under LED's. They had some help since my tank gets indirect light from a window with blinds and curtains. I can get a more recent one and post it later

February 14, 2013

May 08, 2013

Last edited by InfiniteGlory; 07-25-2013 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Now with pictures
InfiniteGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #7 
shannonpwns

Well I wasn't expecting it to be this big when I got it, I was gonna try to just keep it trimmed to an acceptable size LOL.

Do you think I could put it in my pond? Or would it not fare well out there? Ill go do some research. Yikes! It's gorgeous though! In pristine health!
Old 07-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #8 
shannonpwns

Well I decided to just trim off the tallest leaves, and got it down to 12/13 inches, and put it in my 5 gal. It looks huge in there, but it looks good haha. Once more leaves start coming in, I'll trim off the tallest ones again. It'll be a chore, but it'll work! Once I get my sorority up and going, it'll probably go in there.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #9 
cowboy

I have a sword in my 2 gallon. Yes 2 gallon! I told the fish guy I wanted a little plant that grew very very slowly... This is what I got. Anyway, it grew 4 baby leaves in less than a month. I ended up taking four of the big leaves off and throwing them out. I know it's a waste but the guy didn't have a lot of room to swim. Easy to grow and care for plant. Perhaps I could have ripped off half and had roots on each side? Any idea?
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Amazon sword leaves don't repair themselves so it's best just to pluck off the entire leaf/stem and let new ones grow. So you can literally take off all the leaves, set the crown in your tank (since most of the leaves are probably going to melt anyway with the new water chemistry) and then it will start growing small and get larger from there

Nice lookin' sword though! He probably had a bunch of them and they where anywhere above 6 inches but yeah, kind of crappy advertising XD
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote