Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2009, 12:51 PM   #1 
onekatietwo

Plants and gravel

Hey, guys. As always, thanks for your help thus far. Now I have another question.

Back when I used to have an aquarium, I just stuck to fake plants but now with my Betta, I'm avoiding that and going for real plants, primarily just because I really like plants and it's cool to have them in my aquarium.

Right now, I just have some kind of grass. One thing I am having a problem with is that if the plant gets much light, a bunch of algae grows on it. If the plant doesn't get light, obviously it dies. Any suggestions?

My second issue - I want to get a lot more plants but I'm having trouble figuring out how to coordinate the whole thing and still be able to use a gravel vaccuum. Doesn't the vaccuuming disrupt the gravel and uproot the plants? Do you just not vacuum around the plants? I recently took out all my gravel and replaced it with pebbles and marbles and the like. I am keeping one of my plants in a glass candle votive filled with gravel (potted, basically) and the other one I just ancored down with some rocks. But, I think if I really want to get a lot more plants (I do) I'm going to want to just go back to gravel. But, with that, I want to keep my gravel REALLy clean. How can I do that but keep my plants from being uprooted each time I vacuum?

Basically, I just want plant tips in general.

And, has anybody ever used those little bulbs they sell at, like, walmart and stuff? Any luck?
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:03 AM   #2 
Twistersmom

What size tank are you planting?
If the blue bulbs are the screw socket incandescent light that say they are 15w, dont waist your money. I bought a pack, put in my 10 gal tank (for about 2 min), it was so dark in there, I could not see my fish. Walmart does sell a a srew in bulb of 10w,($6 or7 dollars) that looks like a fluorescent. I forget the name, but I believe you can find it on their website. I have this in a planted 5g and 10g, plants are doing well in both.
Its best to just clean around the plants. If you buy some plant substrate, such as Eco-complete, it is suppose to break down fish waste into plant food. In my tanks with the Eco-, I just swirl the gravel cleaner above the substrate to pick up any dirt.
Twistersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:07 AM   #3 
Chicklet

I replaced all my bulbs with ones from the dollar store, 9 & 11 watts, But equal to a 40 watt bulb,
My lights run from the time I get up. 8 ish to the time I go to bed, 1 ish. and I don't have to much algae troubles,

I only vacuum my gravel at each corner and where the main food floats to the bottom, plus skim it along the top of the gravel for any loose debris,

I don't add any type of special gravel or plant fertilizer, none of that stuff, and all my plants are doing great.... I plant Water sprite and let some float, Banana plants and Java Moss mostly, but have a few others like the Cardinal plant,
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:41 PM   #4 
Campbell

I haven't had good luck with live plants. I currently have a five gallon with one live and two silk plants, and a 2.5 with two silk. I like the look of live plants, but the ones I buy always have snails on them, and they are hard for me to place.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote