Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #1 
taralovesanimals

Can I do this?? :/

http://aqadvisor.com/AquStockImage.p...:200911012019:

according to aqadvisor.com I can keep 20 with a male betta (99% stocking) but that just seems way to crowded!!!!! or is it?? If it's not can I keep 10-15 with a male betta?
taralovesanimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah I wouldn't keep 20 of them, 15 is fine. You still want room for them to be able to swim haha.

Also take into account, I don't know about your area but Celestial Pearl Danios are not found around here and you'd have to order them from online. Now if you had planned to do that, then awesome! They are great fish and worth their buck. Not much is known about them yet as they are still realtively new so I definitely suggest doing plenty of research on them Also keep in mind you need about 1 Male to 2 Females ideally, of course that's not fact but what I think I remember from my research lol so that will definitely have to be checked, but males will spar time to time as they show off for the ladies. So you just don't want too many males all sparring with each other all the time, you know?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #3 
taralovesanimals

Oh okay. Yeah 20 seems like way too many haha. I guess I'm lucky because my LFS has CPDs. Will CPD's be happy with all males or all females? Or ( I researched them the whole day) with the 1:2 MF ratio?
Old 07-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #4 
taralovesanimals

^I've read that people kept all males together, but I want the fish to be as happy/comfortable as possible.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #5 
taralovesanimals

I know they eat the eggs and and fry but I want to prevent lots of unwanted fry unless it is positive that they'll eat the fry and eggs.

Also. aqadvisor says to keep the temperature at 75.2 is that too cold for a betta?

Last edited by taralovesanimals; 07-23-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #6 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by taralovesanimals View Post
I know they eat the eggs and and fry but I want to prevent lots of unwanted fry unless it is positive that they'll eat the fry and eggs.

Also. aqadvisor says to keep the temperature at 75.2 is that too cold for a betta?
You want it around 76F ~ 82F to be honest. 76 is a bit on the low side.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:45 PM   #7 
taralovesanimals

okay thank you. would that be okay for the CPD's too?
Old 07-24-2013, 12:24 AM   #8 
taralovesanimals

Also are there anyother tank mates you'd recommend for a 10 gallon?
Old 07-24-2013, 12:26 AM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...-margaritatus/ This page contains a lot of info on CPDs.

However, having kept this species in the past I would be hesitant about putting a school of them in with a betta in only a 10 gallon tank. They are known for being a quite skittish and sensitive species, and so they may spend a lot of time hiding, particularly if the betta harasses them. Also, is your tank cycled and able to handle the bioload of a group of fish? These are not bettas to survive very long in poor water quality.

I would definitely not try and put 20 of them into your tank. I think a group between 6-10 would be my limit. They do have to have space to swim as they are quite active fish.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:59 AM   #10 
taralovesanimals

Okay. Ill probably find another fish. Do you have any suggesions?