Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #1 
kiwister

Question Betta Equipement

Hi, I am planning on getting a betta fish, but I do not know how to take care of one very well. I am learning, though. Can someone please provide me with a list of the basic things I need to keep my betta fish healthy and happy? Thank you in advance, for your help!

Kiwister
kiwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #2 
Livelifelaughlove

wow, you just opened a big debate.

Ok, in MY opinion you can have a happy fish with these things:

The bare minimum:
1.a 2+ bowl or tank. remember the smaller the tank, and without a filter the more difficult it will be to keep up. (Price: Depends. anywhere from $8- $50. { the tank kits, are generally more expensive than doing it yourself}
2. plants for the fish to hide in (Price: from $3-$10 depending on size...
3. a Substrate... for bettas, gravel *not the drive-way kind* is perfectly fine. other like glass bead things ( Price: Depends on how big of a tank. You usually 1 Lb of Gravel per Gallon of water. Most gravel goes for about $2 a Lb)
4. A water conditioner. takes out the chlorine and such in the tap water. Tetra seems to make good everything. (Price: $2-$3)
5.Food. Pellets are usually the best. some fish are picky other eat everything. also getting blood worms *actually insect larvae* for treats. not required, but they sure like them.try to get fish food with the least amount of vegetable matter since they are carnivorous, not omnivours. the more veggies, the more waste. also, try to stay away from Dye... (Price for Food: *about $3, Price for Blood Worms: About $2)
6. A test kit is good to have! (this isn't required, but really is good to have! Get the liquid kind, not the strips. Price: anywhere from $10-$30)

for a REALLY happy fish, and less work:
1. try to get the biggest tank possible. doesn't need a Huge tank. would be fine in a 2-5 gallon *though some disagree*
2. a filter requires fewer/less water changes and is really helpful!
3. a heater. They like to have a warmer water (75-80 degrees). but can last with room temp. try to keep in a part of the house that stay stable though.
4. a thermometer *I paid $1.50 for mine*
5. Some bettas jump. So a lid is a good thing to invest in, though mine were in a lid-less bowl for a few months and i never had a problem.

it all kinda depends on what you want... and a betta CAN be put in with other fish, it just depends on your betta, and the type of fish you want to put him in with... and the size of tank.

Good luck! let us know if you need anything else...

Last edited by Livelifelaughlove; 03-21-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Livelifelaughlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:09 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

A 2 1/2 gallon or larger tank with a filter and heater is usually what is reccommended. Yes, they can jump so something with a lid is definitely reccommended. Plants and some kind of "cave" type thing is good. They don't "have" to have a filter but a filter helps keep the water nice and clean. As far as food goes, besides the pellets and bloodworms, they can eat freeze dried or frozen brine shrimp, and daphnia. Frozen food needs to be thawed and freeze dried food needs to be rehydrated. I think we covered all the bases. :) And if you get a test kit, the API liquid master test kit is the one everyone reccommends. The strips are not accurate.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:14 PM   #4 
veganchick

They did a pretty nice job explaining it! The only thing i would say, is a heater is pretty nice to have in the winter... m house gets down to about 69 degrees which is WAY too could for my bettas. They like about 75-78 degrees, altho 72- 82 degrees is ok to keep bettas at. I would def. get a lid, too cuz I have had a fish die from jumping out of the tank before, and its not fun!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #5 
veganchick

3. a Substrate... for bettas, gravel *not the drive-way kind* is perfectly fine. other like glass bead things ( Price: Depends on how big of a tank. You usually 1 Lb of Gravel per Gallon of water. Most gravel goes for about $2 a Lb)

Wow, mine is more like $2 for 5 pounds!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:25 PM   #6 
Livelifelaughlove

i paid i think $8 for a 5 Lb bag... and it was junk! it had gotten crushed or something and was un-usable. So i went to a garage sale and bought about 5lb and a holding tank for $1 lol guess it depends

Oh! i forgot to add, try craigslist. usually there is some really good deals for an up and coming fish owner.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I use glass gems. They're easier to clean than gravel. Of course, I take mine out and wash it every week since mine are in smaller containers.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:31 PM   #8 
Livelifelaughlove

Gems! thats the word i was looking for... not beads... lol sorry, i was a little distracted when i wrote that...

I clean my gravel usually with hot water, but now i am going to have to get a gravel-vacum thingy... so we will see if i like that ok...
Old 03-21-2009, 09:43 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I could borrow my neighbor's gravel vac but I think I'll use a turkey baster. It seems to work pretty good.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:46 PM   #10 
Livelifelaughlove

lol, i hope you don't use that to bast your turkeys as well... lol ewww!