Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2013, 05:00 AM   #1 
Jaychlosar

Any advice?

Hi. Have only been keeping fish for a short while, so am a little unsure on most things. Our relatively new set up was going along great, but all of a sudden, the water has turned a cloudy white colour. I have just done a 50% water change, added conditioner, and IAL leaves, thinking that would fix it, but 4 hrs later, it's still very cloudy. PH is 7.4, Ammonia 0, Nitrates and Nitrites are both 0. My daughter accidentally left the light on a few days ago for 9 hrs and the tank is in indirect light. It is a 12 gallon, Filtered tank, heater at 25+ degrees. Any ideas anyone?
Jaychlosar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:15 AM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

I doubt leaving on the light is the cause. It is called a bacteria bloom and is pretty common in newly-cycled tanks. Keep an eye on your ammonia and Google "Heterotrophic bacteria."

Hope this helps.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:48 AM   #3 
Jaychlosar

Unhappy

Geez....I feel a little more confused now. Thought fish keeping was supposed to be a breeze. I feel like I'm constantly watching this fish tank waiting for something bad to happen.
So is there something I can do to rectify the problem I'm having, and so it doesn't happen again?
I'm just using a submerged filter with a black sponge type block in it. I have been doing weekly water changes of around 40-50%, adding a product called Neutral regulator to remove chlorine, ammonia etc, and also have been adding 2 small IAL leaves which I was told was good for Bettas. He eats all of his food straight away....no waste, and try to keep the temp level. What are we doing wrong?
Old 07-26-2013, 06:21 AM   #4 
Polkadot

Yes it sounds like a bacteria bloom,it should clear up on it's own in a few days,it can happen with new tanks.It happened to one of my tanks a fair while ago,it went away after about a week,it's very frustrating.Keep doing your partial weekly water changes but also keep a check for ammonia,if that rises do an extra wc.You could also try a great product called Seachem Stability which instantly adds beneficial bacteria,it is great for new tanks.Seachem Prime is also a really great water conditioner too.Don't panic though,he will be ok,as it is pretty common with new tanks if they haven't been fully cycled.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:26 AM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

As Polkadot noted, it will probably clear up by itself. You aren't doing anything wrong. It's like Forrest Gump said: 'It' happens.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #6 
Jaychlosar

Have just checked levels and all seems fine, but will probably continue to stress out until it clears. We have been encouraged to use a product called Neutral Regulator, which is a water conditioner as well as a PH stabiliser, as our water here is quite harsh, around 8. Does anyone have any better recommendations for harsh water like ours? Also, can anyone advise on how long you should leave your IAL leaves before changing them?
Old 07-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #7 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Truly, don't stress over the bloom. It's happening to me right now with no ill effects on my Bettas or their tankmates (I have a 20 long divided for three Bettas).

I have pH that runs 7.8-8.0 and I don't mess with it. It's easier for fish to adapt to high pH than it is to have fluctuating pH. I think you'll find that pretty much a concensus viewpoint.

Seachem Prime is a good ammonia detoxifier and water conditioner. I used Seachem Stability to cycle my tanks.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #8 
Jaychlosar

Thank you so much for your advice. You would think fish would be super easy, but we have had soooooo many troubles getting the water chemistry just right for the little guy, that It's hard to relax.
What adorable little fish these guys are. We have never had such a social fish before. We stick our hand in to feed or clean, and he actually swims up and into it, and he watches and follows us as we move. Pretty amazing. He may be just stalking us.. ha ha.