Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2009, 10:56 PM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have a few things to add. The male and female should be conditioned first by feeding them frozen foods such as brine shrimp and bloodworms. This helps the female to become full of eggs. The bigger the spawning ttank, the easier it is to keep clean. You'll need plenty of plants and hiding places for the female to hide.You put the male in the tank first to let him establish it as his territory. The tank should be filled with 6 inches of water and the water temperature needs to be 80 degrees. My book says after 2 or 3 days you can put the female in a quart jar half filled with water and float it in the tank. When she gets vertical stripes on her then she is ready for breeding. It may take awhile for her to be ready. A female that is not ready to spawn with a male who is can be deadly for the female. After 2 or 3 days she can be released into the tank. You have to watch closely to make sure she doesn't get injured and take her out immediately if she does. They may wrap many times . When they are done, take the female out. The fry can eat commercial liquified fry preparations, boiled egg yolk or infusonia. After a couple days they can eat newly hatched brine shrimp and microworms. This info came from a book I have about bettas. I've never bred them myself.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:09 PM   #12 
crowntail lover

Thanks. And I also have a book and this same info on breeding. : ]
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:13 PM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good. Do as much research and reading as you can. Look up stuff on the internet, the library or buy some books about bettas and breeding. The one I have is pretty informative.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:44 AM   #14 
Cody

68F? You do know these are highly tropical fish, right? Try at least 78F.

And I honestly don't see how you are ready saying...
You just posted a thread asking if you need a heater for a betta.
You say you have *one* betta. Experienced breeders will have a few pairs.
And you already went ahead and tried, without our consent (as stated in another thread). I have asked proper questions there.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:28 PM   #15 
crowntail lover

It was my error. I ment to say 78f
And the reason for me asking if a heater was needed is that i wanted to know and the best brand and many opinions as I have many different books that say different info.
I never said I was a experienced breeder i just stated that I have one male betta that I am looking to pair a female with. : ]
Tried what? Breeding? I have never breed a betta but I have raised many!
Old 04-26-2009, 05:25 PM   #16 
trotfox5

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post
Seems everyone has different ideas,
The internet, one way, which seems to be gospel to most people, So I don't usually knock it, Just give them what they want to hear... or give nothing at all, I don't believe breeding betta's should be so freely jumped into,

Your gonna have lots of fry should you be successful, I have had a minimal of 55 survive in one spawning, you can get up to 800 eggs,, thus 800 young fry possible. you need to ask yourself one very big question,
ARE you REALLY ready for THAT many FRY & what if they all survive? ? Very few seems to really realize the work, time & money involved in raising that many fry.

How much experience have you had with betta's in general to begin with?
Something new always seems exciting, but how long is that fad gonna last especially with aLOT of young fry landed in your lap..... depending on you to take care off, And what about homing them all, hum

Think before you leap.
Do the fish really create that many fry? If so, i'm backing of on my breeding research, sounds like a bit much for me to handle!
trotfox5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #17 
crowntail lover

From my reading the can range from 50-200. But I have never bred Betta's so.....
Old 04-26-2009, 05:59 PM   #18 
Chicklet

Quote:
Do the fish really create that many fry? If so, i'm backing of on my breeding research, sounds like a bit much for me to handle!
Yes that many eggs, thus possible that many fry.
It ain't a small task to venture into lightly in my opinion.

Get a good breeding pair and your gonna be loaded with young...
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:10 PM   #19 
crowntail lover

I have another question.
my Betta is in a 1 gallon tank with rocks, a decortion, and a heater...Is this a good and healthy home?
Old 04-26-2009, 09:00 PM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

A 1 gallon is fine as long as you keep up with water changes. This is important to a fish's health.