Betta Fish Forum banner

Do I have everything I need to know...?

3K views 41 replies 8 participants last post by  crowntail lover 
#1 ·
Hello. I have researched on how to care/breed Crowntail Beta fish. I currently own a male crowntail and I really want to try the breeding. Here is what I know to do.
You place both betas in a 10-20 gallon tack -with divider- and slowly introduce the female to the male -to prevent one being hurt badly- You should have a stiro fom cup with a small whole so the male can make a bubblenest. When the male has produced a large enough bubblenest you let them spawn for 10-20 hours. Do you seperate them after to feed or while spawning? Once the eggs are in the bubblenest you seperate the female but leave the male to do its natural thing. -blow back the fallen eggs. And once the fry have hatched and are free swiming -5-7 days- you seperate the male.
You can feed the fry a powder like food found in stores, baby shrimp....
Their water should be heated to 68 degrees
they should have live plants for hiding places and to eat on.
3 1/2 months later you should be able to tell them apart from male or female. You need to seperate the males-diff 1 gallon tanks, but the females can live together in a soroity. You can also start feeding them a regular diet. -bloodworms, and provided beta pelets-
hope this is correct

See less See more
#3 ·
Seems everyone has different ideas,
The internet, one way, which seems to be gospel to most people, So I don't usually knock it, Just give them what they want to hear... or give nothing at all, I don't believe breeding betta's should be so freely jumped into,

Your gonna have lots of fry should you be successful, I have had a minimal of 55 survive in one spawning, you can get up to 800 eggs,, thus 800 young fry possible. you need to ask yourself one very big question,
ARE you REALLY ready for THAT many FRY & what if they all survive? ? Very few seems to really realize the work, time & money involved in raising that many fry.

How much experience have you had with betta's in general to begin with?
Something new always seems exciting, but how long is that fad gonna last especially with aLOT of young fry landed in your lap..... depending on you to take care off, And what about homing them all, hum

Think before you leap.

#4 ·
I have had plenty of experence caring for young and aged Beta's. I do appreciate your opinion but you come across I bit rude.
I have also been researching breeding for a couple of months now and I feel very confident!
I also have 17 friends of my family waiting to care for the possible offspring.
And I a 100% positive I have the money and time to care for the betta's properly as school for me is 16 days from being out for summer break!

#7 ·
No one here is trying to be rude. We just want to make sure that people know what they are doing and are informed when it comes to breeding bettas. It IS a big responsibility and we just want to make sure that people are prepared for all the babies that will be brought into the world and that they have the proper equipment for breeding. Food needs to be prepared ahead of time and babies have to be watched constantly for signs of illness and the parents need constant supervision during spawning because one or the other can and do get hurt.We have a real passion and love for bettas here and want the best for them.

#11 ·
I have a few things to add. The male and female should be conditioned first by feeding them frozen foods such as brine shrimp and bloodworms. This helps the female to become full of eggs. The bigger the spawning ttank, the easier it is to keep clean. You'll need plenty of plants and hiding places for the female to hide.You put the male in the tank first to let him establish it as his territory. The tank should be filled with 6 inches of water and the water temperature needs to be 80 degrees. My book says after 2 or 3 days you can put the female in a quart jar half filled with water and float it in the tank. When she gets vertical stripes on her then she is ready for breeding. It may take awhile for her to be ready. A female that is not ready to spawn with a male who is can be deadly for the female. After 2 or 3 days she can be released into the tank. You have to watch closely to make sure she doesn't get injured and take her out immediately if she does. They may wrap many times . When they are done, take the female out. The fry can eat commercial liquified fry preparations, boiled egg yolk or infusonia. After a couple days they can eat newly hatched brine shrimp and microworms. This info came from a book I have about bettas. I've never bred them myself.

#14 ·
68F? You do know these are highly tropical fish, right? Try at least 78F.

And I honestly don't see how you are ready saying...
You just posted a thread asking if you need a heater for a betta.
You say you have *one* betta. Experienced breeders will have a few pairs.
And you already went ahead and tried, without our consent (as stated in another thread). I have asked proper questions there.

#15 ·
It was my error. I ment to say 78f
And the reason for me asking if a heater was needed is that i wanted to know and the best brand and many opinions as I have many different books that say different info.
I never said I was a experienced breeder i just stated that I have one male betta that I am looking to pair a female with. : ]
Tried what? Breeding? I have never breed a betta but I have raised many!

#18 ·
Do the fish really create that many fry? If so, i'm backing of on my breeding research, sounds like a bit much for me to handle!
Yes that many eggs, thus possible that many fry.
It ain't a small task to venture into lightly in my opinion.

Get a good breeding pair and your gonna be loaded with young...

#22 ·
Ok, you seem good, however spawning takes 2-10 hours, not 10-12 hours.

You will need about 50 jars, not bowls (to expensive). To seperate the young males.

82F for best results.

Microworms or Infusoria, then Baby Brine Shrimp.

#23 ·
Ok is this truth or myth, I heard that you can leave the males together as long as you never seperate them, if you do you cant reintroduce them. I saw iton another site and was wondering if it was true.

#24 ·
Myth, unless the tank is HUGE. You have macho young males who want to kill eachother, and severe fin damage may be iriversable.

So they must be seperated.

#29 ·
no no no no no!

Those cups MUST be cleaned every day, not fun huh?

Quart jars would be better, by a lot. They must be cleaned every 3 days, 1/2 gallon every 6 days, and 1 gallon every 7 days.

Get jars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.