Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #1 
BittyB

Story Behind Your Bettas Name

Pretty self explanatory title. Im sure there will be some interesting stories out there on how you picked their names.

So I named him after a narcoleptic dragqueen, Jinkx Monsoon. I figured they are super flashy so it works with his bright and huge fan. Mine likes to fall asleep and kinda drifts in the current then wakes himself up out of trances and kinda shakes himself out of it which is quite a funny quirk he has. Flamboyant, narcoleptic and the name relates to water.
BittyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #2 
Polkadot

^ Wow that's a name & a half.

I like to give my little bettas cutsie names,just cute and fun names.I had all 3 boys names picked out before I got them.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #3 
countyrd419

I named my male betta Rusty due to his red coloring. It's simple and just fits him perfectly. His color really pops when his tank light is on.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #4 
whiskandbowl

Powerball- was an impulse purchase for my BF. They were drawing the powerball lottery that night and he had wanted me to go get a ticket after work. Well I saw this really awesome crowntail and wanted him. So I told him I got a Powerball and brought the fish home instead.

Kitty- She's this awesome purple and white color. I was trying to think of a name that was associated with purple and was thinking about wine. Well I didn't like the name Cabernet, but it made me think of Red Cat brand wine. I didn't like Cat, but Kitty was cute.

Logan- I just liked it. LOL
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #5 
kimt

My first betta was for my son. He is a crown tail and he named him King. The elephant ear in my avatar is named Whisper. It just seemed fitting for him. My baby betta is called See Dang. It is literally the thai word for red. (He is red) I used to live in thailand and I've picked up a fair bit of the language. I needed a gender neutral name for him since I'm still not sure of his gender. And my latest rescue is named Roy. Named by my husband because he was tired of not having a name for him. I wasn't sure if he would live and when he did, I was going to rehome him so I never named him. Then I got too attached to give him away and by then, we were all calling him Roy.
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #6 
sainthogan

Fishy was named by my then 6 year old son. Celestial Soda Pop was named after a song - for some reason, his coloring reminded me of that song. But since that name is so long, we call him Fizz for short.
sainthogan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #7 
alwaysaBettaLover

Thors name was after his humongous fins ( he's a half moon, but his fins are so big, he could be a full moon )

And Sparkey was named after his unique personality and how he's always got that little spark
alwaysaBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #8 
Sokkasmom

My bettas name is Sokka. Its from a cartoon i watch with my kids called Avatar:the last air bender. my Sokka is all white and blue (lil red) and i was looking for a name that had something to do with white and blue, and sokka is from the water tribe, and their colors are white and blue. So my bettas name is Sokka.
Sokkasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #9 
DragonFish

I've almost always had a general theme of naming all my fish after characters from something or another. Though I always kinda had a tendency to do so because I'm just a huge nerd, I started naming my bettas exclusively after characters when I worked at a local pet store so I wouldn't just bring home ALLLL the bettas(though I brought home quite a few anyway... ). It was kind of a rule I set for myself, I had to find a character and name that fit the betta before I could bring it home.
Now its just kind of progressed into a habit of how I look for names for my bettas. Of my current boys, I have....

Nine-A dragon character from a rather obscure web comic I'm a big fan of.

Mephisto(Mefishto)Pheles-Though a demon from German folklore, hes primarily named after the character from the anime Blue Exorcist, mostly due to his coloration.

Steve Rogers and Bruce Banner-The Avengers, obviously. I was pretty into them when I picked these two up last year for my birthday, I had a Tony Stark as well but he was a sympathy purchase from Petco who unfortunately didn't last the night.

Legolas-I'm sure most can guess this is from LoTR

Lucifer(Lucifish)-Named after the Fallen Angel, obviously, and partly inspired by the series Supernatural because I picked him up on the 21st of December last year when the world was supposed to end. xD

Gwaine-Sir Gwaine of Camelot, Knight of the Round Table....and my favorite character from the BBC series Merlin. xD

Nezumi-One of the main characters in the Anime/Manga series No. 6.

Tom Lucifer Rory Watson Pendragon von Jefferson-This is what happens when I let my friends name my fish. We call him the Fandom fish, hes named after six different characters in six different series, though we usually just refer to him as Tom Lucifer.

My goodness I have a lot of fish....you don't really think about it until you start listing them out I guess.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #10 
Moonshine357

Moonshine was living in a mason jar like moonshine.
Inferno is yellow and orange like fire.
Flynn is how my three year old says fin. He's a halfmoon or a super delta we were calling him Finny fish. Now his name is Flynn.
Moonshine357 is offline   Reply With Quote