Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #1 
scripto

Woke Up to Find Betta Wedged Under Toy

I thought he was dead? But then I tapped the glass and he swam around just fine, but went back to his hiding spot wedged under his toy? I took a video to show you him hiding , then me moving his toy and him swimming around just to go back to his hiding spot? What does this mean? Any helpful tips?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWwcppFIHHI
scripto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #2 
Viva

He may just like to rest there. I would test his water to see if anything is stressing him out.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #3 
Stone

bettas like to wedge themselves into tight spaces, i would bury it a bit deeper in the gravel so he can't wedge himself under it
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #4 
countyrd419

Does he stay there for more than five minutes? Rusty, my betta, does the same thing too. He rests underneath his toy pagoda for a minute or two to catch his breath from swimming and then takes off again. If your fish is just sitting there for awhile; I have a feeling that something is making him find safety near his toy. As stated, check your water parameters to see if everything is okay.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #5 
scripto

This was my original post. Ever since I have introduced stuff into the tank he has been a bit batty.
scripto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #6 
Viva

How often do you change the water? Your tank also seems overstocked after reading your original post. I think just one betta and one or two snails would be better. The catfish should definitely not be in there, they get to 2" and prefer to live in groups together. With that many things in the tank you should be doing daily water changes. It's possible he is getting stressed from all the ammonia build-up that's in the tank. I suggest testing the water for ammonia to see what it's at and getting rid of the catfish and some snails. Also do a 100% water change and acclimate him to the new water. Generally the rule for stocking is 1 gallon of water for a 1" fish. A bettas size varies but can be 1" - 2" I think.

Last edited by Viva; 07-26-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote