Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2012, 03:58 AM   #1 
Shirleythebetta

I've been thinkin'

My boy that died, Fishy. He was a steel blue veil tale and he was sick from the start. I tryed what I could (I didn't know as much then) and I was wondering, what the heck is it when I betta has a stiff fin that shows no sign of rot? That is how he started out and then his dorsal fin fell off shortly after that. He came with the stiff fins. They were ALL stiff and even in these forums I have never really seen anything that sounds like this. Is this a precurser to fin rot? Curious to what would have helped him if anything. Or maybe he was too sick. I prolonged him for abt 3 months.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #2 
BettaSnap456

I've never heard of fin rot ever giving a betta a stiff fin.
BettaSnap456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #3 
Sakura8

How do you mean stiff? Like brittle and breaking easily? Or stiff like he couldn't move his fins at all?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:40 AM   #4 
Shirleythebetta

Well, it was just... stiff. I can't really explain it. It would look like it would soften then he would barely be able to move it. He could still get to the top for air. He could move his fins at the point close to his body but they didn't move in a wavy motion like my other boys. I gave him super clean water, everything was right. I am a stickler for that. Heres a pic about two months before he died. His fins were almost always in that postition. Maybe its how he held his fins. They always looked stiff to me though.
Attached Images

Last edited by Shirleythebetta; 01-23-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:41 AM   #5 
Shirleythebetta

I promise this is not a cube tank. I just realized it looks like one in the picture. Its a close up in a weird angled tank.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #6 
LittleBettas

I've seen bettas who have done that before... what size tank was he in, was it heated, what kind of heater, and how often did you change the water?
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #7 
Shirleythebetta

It was a one gallon, not heated but always within the right temp 79-80, kept the room warm and near a vent. Changed the water twice a week. Partial then a full. Sometimes two full changes if he didn't eat all of his food. He always had that stiff fin from the start. It was strange. It would look like it would start to soften then go back to stiff. Then one morning I woke up and his dorsel was gone and he died two weeks after that. He also breathed funny from the start. He came in a wal-mart cup a half an inch deep with the typical debree on the bottom.