Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2009, 10:01 PM   #11 
ecoprincess

WoW the symptoms sound a LOT like what is happening to my betta "FreddY". Like your fishy, Freddy has all the sudden started laying at the bottom of his (1 gal) tank. His belly had a little bump on one side but this morning there was a HUGE "poo" in the bottom of the tank....the bump is almost gone but Freddy is not any better. He does the same thing with the spastic swimming near the top of the tank (but only seen this twice in two days). THE ONE DIFFERENCE, is that Freddy is less then 6mnths old.....so i know its not old age.

I dont want Freddy to die but it seems hard to isolate whats wrong with no other visual problems, his colour is a little duller...his two small fins are also turning white on the tips......its like his head is heavy ... he just sinks. :(

Have you found a way to make your betta better yet? I think out fish have the same thing.......i wanna save Freddy.....i dont want him to die.

:(
ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:17 PM   #12 
ChristinaRoss

hmmm, i found this info for you.............I am quite concerned about his body curling and his inability to right himself. constipation can cause these symptoms if he has been excessively overfed. It tends to occur most often when Bettas are fed a lot of dry pellets that swell in the gut when exposed to water. This can lead to pressure internally and the inability to regulate the swimbladder. The swim bladder is the gas filled sack that fish use to control their buoyancy. What I find most worrisome is that the swelling appears to be more on one side. This could be a signal of an internal bacterial, viral or parasitic infection or even the early signs of Dropsy.

Before we fear the worst you may want to rule out constipation. If you can keep him in a glass bottom bowl without any substrate, this is a good idea when suspecting constipation. It will allow you to monitor how often he is excreting waste. In addition to observing him, consider fasting him for a day or two. Also, when you do feed him again be sure not to overfeed him. A betta's stomach is about as big as one of his eyeballs and he should be fed that amount about twice per day. For a full grown male betta that equates to about 1-2 tiny pellets, two times per day. If you are feeding him pellets, soak them in a cup full of tank water for about 10 minutes before feeding so they can swell to full size before entering the digestive track. This will also help you to better gauge the actual size of the pellets you are feeding.

If after a day or two he still doesn't excrete any waste, try feeding him a tiny portion of blanched pea. Blanching is just quickly cooking it in boiling water. I usually drop a pea into a mug, fill with water and throw it in the microwave for 45 sec to a minute. Then I run it under cold water so it won't burn him when he eats it. Remember, don't feed him the whole pea; just a tiny portion of the inside about the size of his eyeball.

Daphnia is also helpful in treating constipation in bettas. You can pick some up at most local fish stores and it acts as a mild laxative. It's also nutritious and bettas love the taste.

of course, keep an eye out for any additional symptoms and post them.

hope this helps.
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:07 PM   #13 
ecoprincess

Hi,

Quick Update.... :( I got him some aquarium salt and put a bit in his tank....his colour is back (he was pretty grey looking this morning) and he's moving around a bit more....but still staying at the bottom "breathing hard". The small bump where his swim bladder is has pretty much gone away......altho its hard to tell completely with his positions.

I haven't fed him now in 2 days....and he hasn't had anything to eat in 3. He seems very uninterested in anything, so any attempt to feed him is unsuccessful. I spent some time with him thru-out the evening.....b4 his "bedtime" he seems a little responsive to my presence.

I notice his scales are a little pronounced......however nothing drastic.....im thinking that its my own paranoia taking over now that i am looking at him "through a microscope". I dont usually feed him the pellets....he doesnt like them (if thats possible) i give him the flakes with the worms in it.....i will try the pea tomorrow, will see if he eats it.

SoCom???? How is your betta??

Thnx for the help!! :)
Old 11-04-2009, 10:01 PM   #14 
ecoprincess

Hey....

Well today Freddy is at the surface of the water, his breathing is better (since he can now grab air from the top) and his colour is almost completely back to normal.

His back end still sinks a bit but his spirits are up. I tried to feed him and when i directed a small flake over his head HE ATE IT!!! YAY!

He is back to being responsive to my presence completely. His small fins "wag" when i approach the tank and talk to him.

I think in Freddy's case, he definately had swim bladder. (i keep him in my store so it might have been an issue of being over fed when i wasnt around) With all luck he will be back to "normal" in another day or two.

Just to recap what i did..... after orginal symtoms (no appetite, sinking/staying at the bottom, curved body, small bump at the rear end of his body, he even floated upside down at one point, then rapid loss of colour, heavy breathing and spastic jolts to the top of the tank for air) I reduced the level of the water so he didnt have as far to go for air, changed his water completely, i added (for the first time) aquarium salts (as per the direction on the box) and spent some "quality time" with him checking up on him and talking to him.

He seems to be on the mend. Thank you for your advice and comments....hopefully this will help if anyone elses betta goes thru similar symptoms.

I will keep u updated if there are any other changes. :) :) :)
Old 11-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so glad that Freddy is doing better!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #16 
sgoheen08

My betta is about 2 and a half years old and he has all the same symptoms except for no curving of the body, atleast I dont think and there is no noticeable bump anywhere..He hasnt eaten in 3 weeks now but still seems active. I keep up with his water and change it once a week, now that he has a filter in his new 1.5 gallon tank..maybe he is not getting enough oxygen from the big tank? I feel like I am the one stressing him out by constantly changing his water,etc. He used to NEVER have an issue with eating, we may have overfed him at one point but since not eating for three weeks, I figured if there was something, it would have passed..there was poo in the bottom of the tank everytime I change it..I am going to try the salt and get a glass small bowl to put him in to monitor and see what happens...he doesnt have any rotting or anything...but the reason why i got him a bigger tank is because his tank was leaking and I caught it just in time, there was just enough water for him..so he was probly sitting in his feces til I caught it..ever since then, he has been acting strange..no loss of color though, or any kind of rotting..not sure whats going on with him..Not one day goes by without me next to his tank talking and trying to keep him active...everytime I approach the tank, he is either laying at the bottom or sitting right at the surface behind the filter..must be warm there..?
sgoheen08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #17 
schluss

time for me (and Clifford) to join the party...

Clifford has the bump, white whiskers, S-shape body position, and struggles to swim. He has been floating at the surface -it seems as if he has a tough time NOT being at the surface. I'm going to pick up aquarium salt tmrw (if he's still kicking in the morning). I've had him for almost two years. Both myself and Brian -his brother -will be sad to see him go... Cross your fingers for us guys.
schluss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #18 
ladygrinningsoul27

My betta has been in this state for several weeks now. I feel so bad for the little creature and don't know how to help him. I've had him for about 2.5 years.
When this affliction first started, he would lie at the bottom of his bowl and wouldn't eat. Now when he sees me and his food container, he struggles to reach the surface where he takes a few nibbles, but then it's too much for him, and he sinks to the bottom. When he's at the surface, he's in a vertical position.
I am assuming it's getting near the end of his life span. He's always been very healthy, and not a finicky eater.
ladygrinningsoul27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:58 PM   #19 
Elowyn

I wish I would have read your post sooner, my betta died today. He was exhibiting the exact same symptoms. I only had him for a week. ( I bought him last Sunday.)
Elowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #20 
KMJBandmooch

dont worry Elowyn. my fish did the same thing after just over a week. minus the white on his fins exxactly the same. i put him in a smaller bowl. it didnt help. anyways, dont feel bad, get another fish, and try again, they are quite lovely :)
KMJBandmooch is offline   Reply With Quote