Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #11 
Seki

Alright, so I got general cure. It's packets that are dosed to treat ten gallons each... can I just approximate for the 2.5 gallon he's in? Sadly, no Kanaplex.

Nova is still alive and he's not gasping at the bottom anymore. He's floating up near the top of his cup now, so I might release him again and see what he does I guess.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

If you can measure out a packet and see if it's 1 teaspoon per gallon in there, although I think 1 pack is more like 2 teaspoons. But you can try to separate the packet into 10th's so that it's 1 gallon dosages. Just pretend you're separating crack or something and use some sort of plastic card lol But that might help and then you can use 2 and 1 half of another dose and that should be good.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:13 PM   #13 
Seki

Alright, I'll see if I can get that done tonight. A friend very sweetly gifted me a new fish tonight, and I didn't have a place for him, so I've been scrambling to get the 1/2 gallon sanitized so he can be in there until I can run to Petsmart. I appreciate the new fish and all, but I had no intentions of having another fish, especially when I have a sick one to take care of right now... ugh.

Also... separating crack LOL!! My inner crack dealer can come out hahahaha
Old 07-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Aww, that's cute of your friend but yeah, I can hear you about having too many to take care of at a moment!

and lol yes! Inner crack dealers XD
Old 07-29-2013, 12:14 AM   #15 
Seki

Alright, so the update for today is that he does not seem to be getting any better. He has been dosed with the general cure, so I don't want to do a water change, but I am also worried because his water is quite cloudy again and I got a reading of .25 ammonia, probably from the food he keeps taking and then spitting out. He absolutely HATED the NLS pellets I offered last night. I was so happy to have found NLS and three of my bettas are being brats and refusing it. -_- Oh well, at least they'll eat Omega One.

Nova's tail seems to be getting shorter yet again, but this time it looks like it might be a mild case of finrot. I can hardly believe he's getting finrot with all I've been doing to try and help him, but... well... there you have it. So... advice on how to deal with this newest development?
Old 07-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh boy >.< well that sucks I'm sorry!!!

I say continue as directed with the medication, do you have a turkey baster to get food out of the tank with?? You can use that or a straw which is a tad harder but you just put your finger at the end, put it in the tank and hover over the thing you want to pick up. Release finger and quickly replace and it should have sucked up what you wanted, don't know if it will work underwater though but worth a try.
Also airline hosing can work for a small siphon if you need to take out just a small volume of water and then replace it, I believe that should be fine.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #17 
Seki

I'll grab a turkey baster while I'm out today. This little fish, I swear... he's swimming around again, which is a new development, but he hasn't eaten in days. The medication may be helping, but the fin rot has me worried and also the ammonia reading. I hate to do it, but do you think I could do a 100% change and put in a new dose of the meds and acclimate him back as if nothing changed? Or do you think that would mess things up a bit?
Old 07-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #18 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You know, I honestly don't know the effects of that. I would assume then you'd just have to redo the medication and start the treatment all over but I'm not sure if that would have any adverse reactions to him. I was hoping that LittleBlue could chime in, i'll PM her to see if she can take a look and see what she thinks you should do because at the moment I'm at a loss.

I would say that, he should be fine with a 100% change and a med re-do since it's only been 1 technical day of medication right? So it's not like it's at the end of the cycle or anything, but this is just my opinion and not fact so I'll see what I can find about it. Do the meds say anything about water changes?
Old 07-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #19 
Seki

The meds say not to change the water because it will dilute the medication. BUT if I do the 100% change and add in the same amount as before, wouldn't it be the same thing and be alright?

I'm trying to get everything figured out right now haha. This new fish really threw me for a loop, so not only am I worried about Nova and trying to treat him, but I HAVE to get the new fish into a proper tank today, he's not been able to have a heater in his temporary 1/2 gallon and I'm worried about him. I'm considering going out and getting a new 5.5 gallon to divide for him and my salamander HMPK. That would still give each fish 2.75 gallons, so I feel like that's acceptable, and it would cut down on work for me as one water change would take care of two fish LOL. Plus, I could cycle the tank.

Poor Nova... I wanted to give him my full attention, but now this new HMDT needs attention as well... -sigh-
Old 07-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #20 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Can you float the HMDT in the sorority tank? It will make some of your girls eggy but it won't hurt them at all. The only thing is he might flare too much and make tiny holes in his fins if he's prone to that. My HMDT can't possibly blow out his fins because he's got too much so they don't really stretch but I don't know about yours or anything.

I say go for the water change and then continue as nothing happened since it will be 100%, the ammonia is no good for him so I'd rather you remove that and just retreat the tank again, probably going to be the best thing to do for him.