Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #21 
Seki

I think I'm gonna do the Betta Shuffle and see about setting up a new, divided 5.5 for Kurama and the HMDT. He has a LOT of finnage (seriously... did you see the thread I posted about him? Soooo much fins), but bettas are creative and I'm sure he'd find a way to ruin them if I floated him. -shakes head-

Nova is getting a 100% water change. I agree with you, I'd rather restart treatment than have him swimming in ammonia. I'm going to be more careful about removing food once he spits it out this time. Feeding might take twenty minutes, but it is what it is.

Alright, to Petsmart I go~
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #22 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Good luck!!! Yeah I just did the Betta Shuffle too, what fun it is! lol >.<
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #23 
LittleBlueFishlets

+1 on redosing with the 100% water change.

I would go ahead and do a 100% water change with a full redose. Having him in there one extra day is OK.
LittleBlueFishlets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #24 
Seki

I got everyone squared away and got the 100% change with the re-dose done yesterday. I feel much better about the water quality now. I was very, very nervous about the ammonia before. Nova perked up a little bit earlier, but he's still not eating. I have tried NLS (which are tiny and should be small enough for him to eat), crushed Omega One, frozen bloodworms... I'm just at a loss. I was going to set up my BBS hatchery but I am quite literally out of plugs. Not to mention I dropped a boatload of money getting the new tank all set up. My new boy, Altair, was one expensive gift hahaha.

When do you guys think I'll be seeing improvement? I've been keeping his tank dark... should I up the temp a bit? It's right about 80* right now...
Old 07-31-2013, 09:55 AM   #25 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I think the temp is fine where it is. I don't expect to see much results till after the medication is done and he can start a healing process basically. I'm glad he perked up though! That's a bit of a good sign at least ^_^ Just keep trying the food though and then just take it out if he doesn't eat it. Have you tried moving them around to maybe entice him and act like live food? I have to do that with pellets sometimes or wiggle my finger over the food, that's how some of my fish know it's food time.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:39 PM   #26 
karenluvsbettas623

General cure is anti parasitic so if it is something else, it will do nothing at all. I see that you don't have a diagnosis and it can be really confusing to figure it out but try to match up the symptom to one of these on this diagnosis chart.

http://www.fishnet.org/sick-fish-chart.htm

I see that it might match the description of tuberculosis which is contagious to humans, not sure but just be careful. I see you posted this a few days ago, glad he is still hanging in there! I hope you can figure this out so he gets better soon.
karenluvsbettas623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #27 
Seki

Guess who ate last night! Nova ate a whole two pellets and I didn't see him spit them back out, either! Maybe this medicine is doing the trick, I'm very hopeful! He's swimming around more today and he even mustered a little flare at his neighbor (in a separate tank right beside his). Looks like I might have found the right combination of treatments at last!

Thanks for your help, guys. We're not out of the woods yet, but this is a definite improvement!
Old 08-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #28 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yay!!! Well that's definitely a good sign at least!! I'm glad he ate!!
Old 08-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #29 
Seki

Bad news... he stopped eating again and his belly is swollen. If this is parasites, shouldn't the meds be taking care of it? Other than a swollen belly, he is tiny, and his fins are clamped and look awful. It's killing me to see him suffering like this... He hangs out at the bottom of his tank now, sort of laying near his plant or his rock ornament...
Old 08-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #30 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Did we ever try the KanaPlex? I would definitely try that in the event that it's not parasites and is something more on the bacterial side.

If you can't get to KanaPlex you can use a combination of Maracyn I & II for treating both gram positive bacteria and gram negative bacteria. Or you can get Erythromycin which treats mostly gram negative and some gram positive and then move to Tetracycline which treats mostly gram positive and some gram negative.