Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #1 
Noctredors

Can i add Tetra safestart while fish is inside

My betta is in a 5 gallon tank, and i was wondering if i should add it to my tank while my betta is in there? Or do i have to remove my betta?

Also, do i just pour the entire bottle in there? It says it is up to 15 gallons. Should i also pour some of it on my filter?
Noctredors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yep you leave your boy in there because the beneficial bacteria which is what is in that bottle, needs ammonia to live off off so your boy is the source of ammonia for them. So you can just pour it right in, you don't have to put it in your filter, they will find their way there no problem and yes you empty the entire thing into the tank, no matter the size of the tank

So you don't do a water change for 14 days while you use it, I suggest keeping the lights off in the aquarium unless you have live plants, this way while the tank cycles it won't stress out your Betta as much. And then after 10 days you can test the water to see what it's at and if there's any ammonia or nitrites then you can do a small water change but it should theoretically cycle itself by 14 days no problems. But sometimes you get a bottle with dead bacteria in it and that's not helpful
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #3 
jaysee
Reference Team

Yes good point to bring up! because the bacteria are alive in the bottle, they can die in the bottle. All it takes is for someone to make a mistake and subject the bottle to very high or low temps and the bacteria may die. I think it's a great product, but it's not a guarantee.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

No matter the manufacturer's instructions, daily or every-other-day water-testing and appropriate changes to keep ammonia and/or nitrite >0.25ppm.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #5 
Noctredors

Well, i poured the entire bottle in my tank while my fish was inside. There was tons of white little particles floating around there. I am guessing this is the bacteria?

My betta tried eating some of them, hopefully this wont harm him.
Noctredors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

lol yeah, he'll be fine my boy did that too when I added it in one time, it was kind of cute actually.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote