Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #1 
Elisew

Still no eating or much movement, what can I do?

Hi Guys,

I previously posted about Lamai my Betta, I got him 3 days ago. On the first evening he was really active, flaring at anything that moved. Since the following morning he`s mainly been really inactive, spending most of his time behind the heater with fins quite close to his body. I`ve tried him with Daphnia, bloodworms and Hikari baby bio gold pellets.....no joy at all he hasn`t eaten anything. I`ve seen him expel a very small piece of waste and it was like a bright yellow colour

Again this evening he`s tucked behind the heater and it`s disheartening to see him like this and I would really appreciate any info or tips as to whether there`s anything I can do to encourage him out and to eat.
I`ve read loads on this site so am aware that Bettas can be stressed easily and that they can also go without eating for some time but I`m beginning to wonder if there`s actually something wrong with him? Is this `normal` behaviour for Bettas? Am I worrying too much?

Thanks in advance,
Lise x
Elisew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:26 AM   #2 
onekatietwo

I don't have a ton of Betta experience, but judging from my Betta, its not quite normal. An aggressive water changing regimen for a week or so is never a bad idea and it can clear up a LOT of issues. Also, watch him really closely and if you have a flashlight, beam him once in a while to see if there is anything different about his body (bloating, growths, new colors, fuzz, etc.)
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:56 AM   #3 
Elisew

Thanks for your reply onekatietwo 8)

I`m keeping an eye on him to make sure all is ok. I went back to the LFS today to get a barrel decoration that will hopefully give Lamai something more to hide in if that`s what makes him feel more secure. I spoke to one of the lads who work there and he suggested planting the back of the tank with some dense plants and that will hopefully encourage Lamai into the front of the tank a bit......mystifies me though as he wants to hide and dense planting will just give him more reason to stay at the back of the tank surely? There were some other fighters which came into the LFS at the same time as Lamai, some are very active, flaring at all the other fish around them but a few are very much acting in the same way as Lamai, fins close to the body, nose to the corner and to the top of the water so maybe it`s a stress thing, I`m not sure

Anyway, I bought a few dense plants and have put them in the tank, did a 50% water change while I was sorting it all out. Lamai has been having a good look around his tank, flaring at everything that`s new......then proceeded to hide amongst the plants!! lol

He still hasn`t eaten anything but I`ll definately be keeping an eye on him to make sure he`s ok. Fingers crossed!

Lise x
Old 04-26-2009, 12:14 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

What size tank is he in and is he in a tank by himself? You may have said before but I don't remember if you did.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #5 
Elisew

Hi dramaqueen

He`s in a 7.5G tank, (I think I posted it in the pictures section) and he`s in the tank on his own. My husband bought me a beautiful VT Betta yesterday who is in the 13G tank now. I moved the 13G tank onto the same unit as the 7.5G one and then thought I would try and see if there would be any reaction if I turned them to face each other. The new Betta `Chimlin` reacted the way I expected, flaring and becoming very active, Lamai however went straight back behind the heater. I have totally turned off the filter as I`m not sure if the flow (although quite subtle) may have been upsetting him.

I`m at a loss at the moment and I`m just keeping my fingers crossed that he`ll start to become more confident and begin to enjoy his new home

Lise x
Old 04-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I wonder if he doesn't like the size of the tank. And there isn't anything in there to scare him.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:46 PM   #7 
onekatietwo

Well, if he's flaring, that might be a good sign that he's at least healthy. So maybe it's purely a personality thing. Some fish are very timid.
Maybe you should try planting all over the tank. I would imagine you would want him to feel like he can hide so he's not really stressed out, but also don't make the front of the tank seem like the scary open part that he doesn't frequently venture into.

Good luck!
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:56 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, it could be a personaality thing and he may just be a timid fish.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:43 AM   #9 
Elisew

Just a bit of an update:

Lamai has now come to the front of the tank, he`s still not very active but I`ve managed to get him to take 2 bloodworms from me. I had to wiggle them just in front of him......not sure if his eyesight is bad or he just isn`t used to bloodworms

He still doesn`t have any interest in the daphnia or pellets but at least he`s eaten something. I`m a bit happier now and just hope things with Lamai get better

Lise x
Old 04-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #10 
hunniebeenikki

What's the temp of the water hun, It kinda seems like maybe he's cold too. I don't know much at all on Bettas, my 4yr old won one saturday lol. Also, I was told at the pet store that our tap water isn't fish friendly and I should add a conditioner to it. Mine's not eatin much yet either, but I'm happy he's active.
hunniebeenikki is offline   Reply With Quote