Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2009, 09:59 PM   #1 
Asha

Question Dirty Betas?

I have a question about betas and their tanks. I currently have two of them and they are in the same size tank( 1 galon) and I have cleaned out their tanks on the same days so I don't forget when I last cleaned them. It's been about a week now and one tank still looks very clean and has clear water. My second tank however, looks cloudy and the water has kinda a yellow look. I don't want to clean out the tanks too often and stress my beta out ( he is building a bubble nest so I know he's happy) but I'm worried about his health. Is it possible for one fish to be dirtier then another? What should I do?
Asha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:09 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

One gallon tanks should be changed at least once a week, preferably twice a week. I write the date down every time I do a change so I don't forget.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:42 PM   #3 
onekatietwo

I would recommend changing their water a little more often. You don't have to do a full clean out, but just replace about half of the water or maybe a little more. You can even leave the fish in for this process if you're really gentle about taking the water out and putting new water in.
The added health from frequent water changes will be more of a benefit that sparing your fish from a little bit a stress during a water change. Anyway, unless you have particularly skittish fish, they shoudl get used to it pretty quickly. Mine seems more curious than anything and I don't think it stresses him out.

As far as one being cloudy and not the other, the cloudy one could have had some kind of bacteria bloom. It also could be taht you fed that fish more with out realizing it or maybe that fish doesn't eat as much as the other fish so there was more food to rot at the bottom. I would reccomend just watching the fish to see if anything odd starts developing and maybe doing an additional cleaning or water replacement.
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:12 AM   #4 
whitedevil

change the water every 2-3 days, use CYCLE and a water conditioner( not a chain brand get a reputable name brand its worth it in the long run)CYCLE will help the water last longer and stay alot cleaner. its strictly good bacteria to combat the issue you are having. Id put em into a 10g personally, they will need their own tank but they would have heat,filter and swimming area.
whitedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:03 AM   #5 
JingleAllTheWay

I'd just clean them out more often. I guess a betta could be dirtier than another maybe if he poops more?
Whitedevil, I wouldn't suggest using cycle. Especially since it is only one gallon.
You really just need to make sure and use water conditioner, Asha. I don't use cycle and my fish are great.
JingleAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Cycle is used only if you are cycling your tank and I've heard people on the forum say it doesn't help your tank to cycle.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #7 
Chicklet

Cycle is a waste of money, Just a feel good product that can actually cause more problems then good,
You tend to think your fish are safer, when if fact they are not, So you tend to let it ride abit longer, Bad mistake,
Don't waste your money on Cycle.

As Drama queen already stated, Once a week absolutely, Twice is better still. every other day perfecto.
Don't matter how clear the water looks it's still dirty,
Remember their living in a small amount of water 24/7 they pee and poop in there, any access food creates more troubles,
Save yourself from a problem that will happen down the road by cleaning his tank much more frequently
would you like to live and breath ammonia every day of your life, It's bad no matter how you look at it,
In small tanks ammonia builds up rather quickly.
Don't worry about stressing the fish, Betta's quickly learn to love the attention it gives them by having mummy or daddy mess with them

Last edited by Chicklet; 04-27-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:56 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think being in clean water makes them feel good too. :)
Old 04-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #9 
Campbell

I change one gallon every two days in my 5 gallon and do a thorough cleaning (vacuum, 75% water change, and algae clean up) every two weeks. In my 2.5 gallon its a 25% change every two days and a 75% change once a week. In a one gallon I would personally change the water every other day.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #10 
whitedevil

Cycle worked for me, parameters proved it.

My angel has been in there for a while, the kuhli's since day one. It works just fine.

Its not jsut used for cycling, read a bottle some time.

Unless there are more bad then good reviews of the product, I wont touch it, I am normally an additive free person especially with my tank, however on several recommendations from many breeders who I get my angels from gave me some to try when i brought him a water sample, a week later the results proved it worked.

Dont knock something till you try it.
whitedevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beta, dirty water