Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2009, 08:25 PM   #1 
Campbell

Exclamation Fungus on terra cotta pot! Should I treat?

I just found some white fungus on my treea cotta pot hiding spot. I immediately removed it. Before putting it in the tank aobut a week ago I soaked it in treated tap water for two days then rinsed with very hot treated water and air dryied. I was wondering if i should treat my tank with anything? I don't see any more, but it has me really worried.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #2 
Kim

I would wait and see. If it's an uncycled tank you could just do a 100% water change, but if now I would hold off treating unless you see a problem.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:50 PM   #3 
Campbell

I'm working on getting it cycled.(or waiting rather) It's a filtered 5 gallon that has been up about two weeks.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:58 PM   #4 
Kim

Oh, gottcha. No 100% change then, definitely not. It could just have been algae too. I still say just wait and see, hopefully it was nothing ;)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:02 PM   #5 
Nataku

Is this a fishless cycle we're working on? If it is, then what you've already done should be sufficient, just watch for any potential regrowth.
If there is/are fish in the tank, I'd be looking into adding some sort of anti-fungal into the water to prevent it from migrating to your fish.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:36 AM   #6 
Campbell

A fish was added about a week ago.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:01 AM   #7 

As long as your test kit reveals that there aren't high levels of ammonia,or nitrites I would not be concerned considering the treatment that the pot received before placing it in the aquarium=(good). White cottony looking fungus sometimes forms on decaying food,dead plant matter,and or dead snails or fish ,and should be removed. Is it possible that you are overfeeding? If ammonia levels are high, That would be an indication. As already mentioned,It could also be algae frorming on the pot. Nothing to worry about. Check your ammonia, and nitrite levels with your test kit. If they are high ,,You will need to change out some old water for new water that has been treated with dechlorinator.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote