Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #1 
quietlythundering

A pleasant developement

So earlier this week, Noatok died. It was really sudden, and needless to say, I was very upset, and couldn't stop crying. Now my grandma doesn't mind my fish keeping, but my grandpa is somewhat adverse to it, but since he's never had to take care of them/ feed them/ etc. he doesn't complain about them too much. However, Wednesday, he did something totally unexpected-he told me to get in the car, drove me to Petco, gave me $10, and said, "Don't come out without a fish."
I stared at him for a minute and he said, "I'm serious. Go pick out a fish. Take as long as you like."
"Thank you.."
I walked out 40 minutes later, after fifteen minutes of deliberation as to whether this was a good idea (so soon after Noatok passed), another five telling myself that they all could use a good home anyway, and the rest trying to find that connection with a certain betta.
And after all that deliberation, I wound up with Phoebus.
He's a double tail with see through fins, who is so light pink that he's almost white. He shimmers blue under light, and has some (natural) brown spots on him. He's settled in pretty nicely; he's not the playboy Noatok was (Tsarina hasn't managed to get his attention yet) but he is majorly fascinated with this little blue plastic igloo I put in his tank (which was Noatok's, but I gave it a sound cleaning.) Maybe I should have named him Narcissus; He chases his reflection
Also, I haven't seen him flare. I wonder if he's as mellow as Declan (who has never flared. Ever.)
But anyway; this is one of the nicest things anyone has done for me. So even if he can't see it here, I want to want to thank him again, and tell him I love him. Really; thank you. I guess this shows that even the most predictable people are still full of surprises
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:09 AM   #2 
CritterNut

This is awesome! Good luck with your new betta! Post pictures! It's always hard to lose a pet, but taking on another fish can help ease the pain a bit. I'm sure Noatok would have no hard feelings!
CritterNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #3 
Kittiesdragons

Congrats on your new boy! I'm sorry Noatok died but I'm glad you got a chance to give another boy a lovely home. Pics please?
Kittiesdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #4 
Namialus

That sounds great! :D I'm sorry about Noatok, though.
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

These are the kinds of stories that make me want to cry happy joyous tears! Being that one of my grandfather's absolutely does not know how to interact with the human species and doesn't even regard us as grandchildren, I find this story absolutely inspiring and heartwarming. I'm so happy to see that there are caring grandfather's out there and so happy that he could help you, even if it was a little soon but it seems to have turned out into an amazing event and I'm so happy!

Yes, I'd definitely love pictures too! I want to see the little rascal! lol He sounds amazing, especially under the lights! I know he'll fare well with you and so happy you gave him the chance of a wonderful home!!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:11 AM   #6 
quietlythundering

Everyone's asking for pictures!
The only picture I have of Phoebus right now (I'm visiting my mom's for the weekend) was the one I took of him when I first brought him home. His cup was really dirty, and the water in it was quite low, which played a part in helping me pick him. It's funny, when my grandpa saw it, he was just as peeved as I was about it.
"What's THAT?"
"Probably leftover food pellets they didn't take out."
"Aren't they supposed to clean these things?!"
"Some employees are a little more lax than they ought to be."
He appreciates his new digs though, and I'll see if I can't get one of him when I get home!
Attached Images

Last edited by quietlythundering; 07-28-2013 at 02:22 AM.
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote