Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2009, 06:42 AM   #1 
mellie901

Please help- is there anything I can do for him at this point?

Hello there- thank you in advance for any help. You can speak the truth to me...

So I have this beautiful beta fish named lucky (long story short he had been on someone's desk at work and then abondoned and I adopted him and have since had him about a year and a half).

I'm realizing now it may be too late and I should have sought out help earlier for him. I feel very bad for him and don't want him to suffer. He has a few things wrong with him.

A few weeks ago I noticed a reddish/white-ish (it looks different some days) sore looking thing next to his eye. It's like an open wound. :( About the same time I also noticed that that eye is possibly cloudy? Not positive on that.

So...my cube buddy has fish and some of her fish were sick and she bought some medicine for them and shared it with me for luck. I used it for about a week and it was about a week ago. It's called Melafix (by API?)....well that didn't work. Some days I thought it was getting better and going away but then another day it would look just as bad if not worse than before. One note about the melafix...it said to treat for 7 days and do a partial water change...I forgot to do the water change. Oh and also it said in the instructions to remove any carbon...so I took the carbon out of the filter but put the empy thing back in and left the filter on. ? :(

Then this morning when he came out for breakfast I noticed one of his fins (his tail fin) had gray on the ends and it's like the end of it had rotted away! :(

Now I'm thinking he may be just getting old...but also I haven't been the best fishy mommy. :(

Here's the form filled out to the best of my knowledge...I've never tested the water but I think my boss (4 of us that sit rit around each other all have fish here at work) has some test strips so when she gets in I'll see if I can use hers to test.

1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons): 2.5 gallons (one of those 'bow front' acrylic tanks.
2. Is your aquarium setup freshwater or brackish water? fresh
3. How long the aquarium has been set up? about 7 months (before that I had him alone in a glass bowl)
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium: Just the beta and then also an apple snail.
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium? No
6. What temperature is the tank water currently? 78 and it stays around that.
7. What make/model filter are you using? it's a whisper filter that came with the tank
8. Are you using a CO2 unit? no
9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? Maybe some...I sit one desk away from a window...but it's a window facing next to a brick wall...so we get in some sunlight but not directly.
10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed? Last time I changed out about 40-50% and it was about a month ago?
11. How often do you perform water changes? I try to do it monthly but it doesn't always happen.
12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish? I feed him a tiny bit 2-3 times a day mon-fri. When I first had him I gave him flakes (betata min tropical medley) but for awhile now he's had top fin color enhancing betta bits (little floating pellets)...I've given him dried blood worms a few times but not for a long time.
13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on? There's a desk light over the tank I keep on while I'm at work 8 hours a day mon-fri. I haven't used the light in the tank hood for at least a month probably. I've had problems with moldy looking stuff on my plants and thought maybe it was from too much light. ?
14. What specific concerns bring you here at this time? The above info...fin rot, cloudy eye, and an open wound/sore. ? :(
15. What are your water parameters? Test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I will see if I can get something to test it with later this morning.
16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips?
17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank? I haven't gotten any other fish since him...and I didn't get him from a pet store. I've had him about a year and a half but I'm not sure how long the person before me had him. I sent him a message asking though.

Thanks again for any help!
mellie901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:51 AM   #2 
Chicklet

Quote:
10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed? Last time I changed out about 40-50% and it was about a month ago?
There's your problem
Very Dirty Water, May look clean but it sure isn't
You should be changing that tanks water at a bare minimal of once a week 50%

Nothing you do is gonna help that poor fish, All the medicine in the world isn't gonna cure him until you take that first most vital step,
a regular water change, Eyes especially are very sensitive to dirty water.

Once you start changing his water regularly, you may find everything will clear up on it's own.
If not then start a treatment, But get that water changed.

Last edited by Chicklet; 04-28-2009 at 06:54 AM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:31 AM   #3 
mellie901

Will do TODAY! Thanks. Hopefully it's not too late for him. :( So even with the filter and everything I should be doing a 50% water change every week? Wow...I was way off!
Old 04-28-2009, 07:37 AM   #4 
Chicklet

Yes water changes no matter how big a tank needs to be done at least once a week, if you want healthy fish.

The smaller down in size you go the more often they need those water changes, It's there life blood, (so to speak).
Old 04-28-2009, 07:55 AM   #5 
mellie901

oops. :( When I had him in a glass bowl I did a water change once a week but I figured with a tank it was different. Also- should I be changing out the carbon filter thingy each week too?
Old 04-28-2009, 08:23 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with Chicklet. Water changes are very important for the health of your betta. Clean water is the best medicine.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:29 AM   #7 
Chicklet

Quote:
Also- should I be changing out the carbon filter thingy each week too?
Filter intake hoses etc should be cleaned regularly but you don't need to replace the Carbon filter very often,
They tell you to change them every month, but that's to often in my opinion, I let mine go 6 months to a yr,

If i decide to use a filter I prefer the sponge filter in small tanks,
I like them partly due to their ease of keeping clean, and you never have to change any media. thus saving some money.

Small tanks also tend to fluctuate and cycles can be lost rather easily,

I don't use any filters period in any tanks under 2 1/2 gallons, just not worth it in my opinion

Last edited by Chicklet; 04-28-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:44 AM   #8 
mellie901

hmm...yeah it seems big too for a 2.5 gallon...I have a 5 gallon at home with an african cichlid in it and it's about the same size filter. There are no hoses or anything...it just plugs in and cycles the water through the carbon filter. Hadn't heard of that sponge kind before...might have to check that out.

So how long should I give him to improve after a water change...if he's not better after awhile should I euthanize him??? :( I don't want him to suffer- poor guy. He's a tough fellow though...when I came across him he'd been left there on a desk for at least 3 weeks or more...in a bowl...wich less than 2 inches of water...he hadn't been fed...and there were huge dust bunnies in the top of the bowl...and since I've had him this is the first time anything seemed wrong with him. :(
Old 04-28-2009, 08:45 AM   #9 
mellie901

and thanks SOOO much for your help! Going to change the water now...should I not worry about giving him anymore medicine for now then and just see if the water change helps? Sorry so many questions!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:50 AM   #10 
Chicklet

I of course do not see your fish first hand,
But with all you've said,
I would let him be for about a week with just frequent water changes,(unless something you believe relevantly serious pops up then by all means ask for help)
Since he is sick especially, I would recommend you do a 25 to 50 % partial water change every other day for at least a week,
Then see what his improvements are,

If things are worse then post with the details and pictures if possible and someone here will try and help you out,
But I seriously think the water will fix up most if not all his troubles.

Also fish that are prone to problems should for their own health be placed in larger tanks of at least 5 gallons,
I have one such as that and anything under a 5 gallon for him spells trouble..