Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #1 
Draven 2012

Black Iridescent, Black Metallic, or neither?

Just trying to figure out exactly what I have here. Also, I realize he is not show quality but are his fins decent? I know his top fin is off but he is still young and I'm hoping it is going to fill out more as he matures.
Draven 2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #2 
Fenghuang

He appears to be a black copper betta. Copper colouration and metallic colouration are related.

As for fins, well, his dorsal fin is a little thin and he appears more bottom heavy. Ideally, you'll want more balance between the top and bottom if you were breeding or showing. If he is young, his fins will grow longer as he age, but the dorsal fin won't get significantly wider. If he almost has a 180 degree spread in his caudal, he *might* develop into a halfmoon with exercise and high protein food over time, but a delta tail won't grow into halfmoon if he is far off from it.

He is beautiful though. Where did you get him?

Last edited by Fenghuang; 07-27-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #3 
Draven 2012

I purchased him as a halfmoon betta from Petsmart. He came in last Thursday.

Last edited by Draven 2012; 07-27-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #4 
Fenghuang

Good find. My avatar boy was also a Petsmart "halfmoon" (in reality, he was more of a super delta, but I didn't mind.) I don't know if he is a halfmoon. You should be able to tell if he flares. If his tail spreads out to a full "D" with straight edges, he is a halfmoon.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #5 
Draven 2012

Here are some pictures that show his fins better, unfortunately they don't show his color at all. I took these photos with my crappy phone. The first pictures posted were taken with my camera but since my computer is down the only way I could "copy" them was to photograph the lcd screen with my phone which is why they are wavy.

Pardon the "cloudy" water in these images. I had just set the tank up and the sand was still settling.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #6 
Fenghuang

He looks to have a wide spread, but I still can't tell for sure. Try to hold up a mirror or a black pen, and see if he would flare at it.

I love the way you decorated your tank. It looks very natural and the light grey rocks and substrate pair will your betta's black very well.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #7 
Draven 2012

I was able to grab a few pics before work. Hope these are good enough, if not I can take more when I get home.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #8 
Fenghuang

He is a super delta. Very close to 180 degrees, but not quite.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #9 
xShainax

He kinda looks like my copper in my avatar
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #10 
Draven 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
He looks to have a wide spread, but I still can't tell for sure. Try to hold up a mirror or a black pen, and see if he would flare at it.

I love the way you decorated your tank. It looks very natural and the light grey rocks and substrate pair will your betta's black very well.
Thank you so much for the compliment. All of my tanks look as natural as possible. My African Cichlid tank took four months to construct and has sheets of slate siliconed up the entire back. The fun fact about this particular betta tank is that I purchased the tank for less then half the shelf price due to a very small scratch on the side, the plants were all but dead so I got them for a steal, the betta was on sale, the sand is " finishing pavers sand " from Home Depot (I bought 10 bags of it 5 or 6 years ago), and I picked the big rocks up out of the yard. We modified the filter outtake because it was too strong which cost 4.67. So total I have maybe 30 bucks invested.

Just for fun, this is my African Cichlid tank

My 29 gallon planted aquarium

And my 29 gallon planted aquarium.

Last edited by Draven 2012; 07-27-2013 at 10:45 PM.