Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #1 
LaniBaby

Photo of Fin Rot

I found this old photo of Tuttle, my little red friend. He had fin rot from a few days after he came home until he died, pretty much. We kept it controlled with clean water and occasional meds, but you can see what it was doing to his lovely tail fin. Eventually it spread, sadly. Just thought I'd post in case anyone needed a reference photo.
Attached Images

LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #2 
LaniBaby

in case anyone was wondering, he lived another 11.5 months after this photo was taken. I managed to have him for about 14 months total.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:56 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

He was very pretty.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #4 
LaniBaby

thank you. :) he was a good, good fish.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had one that was special like that. It was all his fault that I got addicted to bettas. lol
Old 05-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #6 
whitedevil

Thanks for the pic, mine has fin rot for sure now, started the heat and salt today going to medicate if it doesnt get better.I am treating the whole tank since there are other fish in there and exposure.

What is a good med if I have to go that route?
LFS said bettafix or metafix for a natural one since Id rather cure without meds when ever possible.

Why only 14 months, my last betta lives a little over 4 years and my new betta is new but he is doing great minus the fin rot which he might have brought with him from the cup, not sure but I know my tank is clean and water is stable and safe( been up for 5 months now).

I noticed his dorsal fin is nearly gone when it was alot bigger but misshaped when I got him.

Again, thanks for the pic, Im going to save it for future reference.
whitedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #7 
LaniBaby

yeah, you're welcome. I was hoping it might help someone out. I had some luck with Jungle fungus eliminator. I had zero luck with melafix and i've heard that from a lot of people. same with bettafix. they're just too mild and fin rot moves really quickly. the jungle stuff will turn everything green, though, so you may want to remove decorations.

i only had him 14 months because of the fin rot. that pic was taken 3 months after i got him and it was already his 4th or 5th bout with the disease. he looked ok when i got him home and a few days later, no tail. he was in a 10 gallon tank and i kept noticing all this white fungus everywhere, too. in strings on the rocks. So i put him in a 1 gal quaratine tank. i treated him, his tail grew back, i put him in the 10 gallon.. and voila. 2 days later, fin rot. back in the 1 gal, treated complete course, tail grew back, back in the 10 gal, 2 days later, tail gone. i got rid of the 10 gal cuz it was hell trying to clean constantly and got the 3 gal with filter. finally, after treating it repeatedly, i just put him in the 3gal, kept the water clean, and watched the fin rot come and go and come and go. he would always fight it off. but after 14 months, the rot got his dorsal fins and it was hard for him to swim. he started losing color, i started treating with meds again and the last time he just couldn't find it off. he turned gray, and just slowly went down. I just couldn't save him. :(
Old 05-03-2009, 11:49 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sometimes its very hard to get rid of. One of mine has it on his tail and dorsal fin. I've tried several different meds and they make him almost like he's going to die. He sinks to the bottom and stays there until I stop treatment. I'm just going with clean water and salt for now.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:50 PM   #9 
Campbell

My walmart just got in some new bettas and most of them have bad fin rot. I tried to find an employee to tell, but I couldn't even find one.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:57 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, you can't ever find someone when you need them. The fish department at my Petsmart was short on help for awhile. They had to cut hours due to the economy.