Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #11 
LaniBaby

sigh. that's why i decided to go with a breeder instead of the pet store. It's hard not to want to rescue them, but everytime we do, they just bring in more stock because they think people are buying them. Add it's just a sad cycle.

DQ, i think the salt and the clean water is the way to go. It worked for me for almost a year until tuttle just went down... :(
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

That's what I'm going to try. I know there are people who purposely buy the sickest, saddest looking bettas at the lfs but I always try to buy healthy ones. I think it would be too heart breaking to take a sick one home and then, no matter what I do, it still dies. I admire those who do, if they can get them healthy and happy again. Sometimes you see a betta that looks sick, get it home in a nice tank and clean water and it turns out they weren't sick at all. They just needed some tlc.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:29 PM   #13 
LaniBaby

that's true. most of them need a little love. i've heard they come to the stores in tiny little triangle bags with just enough water to keep them moist. it's heartbreaking. the other argument i've heard against pet store bettas is that if the public keeps buying the really sick ones, the pet stores take that as a sign that it's ok to keep them in unhealthy conditions because we'll accept it and they'll make money anyway. so why bother treating them well?

i know it's hard for most betta lovers to find a breeder so i certainly don't fault anyone for buying the little guys. but i do encourage people to try and look up someone reputable in their area who treats their little guys with respect. bear in mind i have heard about some really terrible breeders who treat their guys even worse than the stores. it's just unfortunate all around for the little fish. there are so many of them per every spawn and so some people see them as expendable when others, like many of us, see them all as precious little lives worth saving.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:38 PM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

What gets me is people who allow their bettas to spawn and then dump out the resulting eggs without any regard to the lives they created.I get most of my bettas at Petsmart. Its within walking distance of my house so I can go over there anytime I want. I hardly ever see dead fish there. I saw a betta one time that had sbd. I told one of the people in the fish department and she was very concerned about the fish. I was going to go back a few days later to check up on him but never did. I wonder if they would have thought I was crazy for checking on a sick fish. lol
Old 05-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #15 
LaniBaby

i don't know. one time i saw a sick mouse at a petshop and i told someone and made him promise he wasn't going to just euthanize him. Then i insisted on a personal tour of the sick room facility with the cage that the mouse was going to go in. Then i left him my phone number in case they were going to euthanize the mouse and said I'd pick him up and resume care for him instead.

Some people are passionate about cars. I couldn't care less about cars but I'd certainly go a long way for an animal so who cares if people think we're crazy? It's just what we do and, in the long run, effects at the very least the animal we're doing it for.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

I was at Petsmart one time and they told me someone had abandoned a rat, just left him in a little cage in a cart. I would have taken him if it weren't for the fact that my mother would have thrown a huge fit and thrown me and the rat out of the house. lol. One of their employees ended up taking him, thank goodness.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:19 PM   #17 
alexx

OH MY GOD. i got my recent betta at walmart,he doesn't seeem to have any rotting fins but i'll make sure.
alexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #18 
LaniBaby

calm down, alexx. :) it doesn't happen to all of them. But I think a lot of us on this board have had at least 1 little buddy come home ill from the pet store. Always check them out when you bring them home, using a flashlight helps, and keep up on clean water. Observe for a few days and hopefully he'll be fine.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

Petsmart doesn't exactly have the best reputation in the world either, but all mine that came from there were fine. I had a neighbor that got one from there a few years ago for her granddaughter and it died a day before the 2 week period was up. They gave her a new one and it was fine.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #20 
alexx

ok nevermind my fish doesn't have fin rot.
alexx is offline   Reply With Quote