Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #1 
Sokkasmom

Exclamation please help. fish on side

My sokka is laying on his side at the bottom of the tank, looking like he is gulping air. I don't know what's wrong with him, I just did a water chage 2 days ago (full 100%) and he has been doing fine since then. He was swimming around just fine earlier this morning, ad has only been at the bottom of his tank for the last half hour or so. Please help me figure out what's wrong with my poor sokka, and what I can do to mae him better.
He's in a 1 gal tank, I change his water once a week, with a 50% water change half way through the week. He gets 1 pellet in the am and 1 pellet at night. If you need any other info please let me know.
Sokkasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #2 
Sokkasmom

So I took sokka out of his tank and did a 75% water change in his tank, and slowly acclamted him to the new waer. He was better for about 5 minutes, then ent back to the bottom of his tank. I added a supper slow air pump to his tank (only 1 bubble ever 5 seconds or so) and he was trying to lay over where the bubbles are coming up. He's moved away from them now, and is just laying on his side in the corner of his tank. He has been poping really well, looks normal brown and not stringy, and I found 3 piles of it when I cleaed his tank today. My kids are supper worried about poor sokka right now, and I am too. Any advice at all would be super welcome at this point as we have all become atached to this cute lil fish.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #3 
shellieca

2 pellets a day doesn't seem like much. Most of us feed anywhere from 4-12 per day, depending on the pellet.

Can you please answer the following questions?
Tank Size?
Tank age (how long has it been set up)?
Filtered?
Heated?
Water Temp?
Tank mates; what kind & how many of each?
Brand of food(s), type, how much & how often fed?
Water change schedule?
How much water is changed?
When was the last water change & how much water was changed?
Brand of water conditioner?
Do you add anything other than water conditioner to the water; if so what?
Water test results for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates & Ph?
Treatments already given?
Describe current appearance & behavior of fish.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #4 
Sokkasmom

He is in a 1 gal tank, water is at 84* right now, he gets a 50% water change every week, tank has been set up for 2 weeks now. No tank mates. He gets wardley's color intensifier. 2 pellets a day because they are so big. I use Kent marine betta bowl essential water conditoner. Nuthing else added to the water. He does have a new air pump in the tank (read on another site that it might help) right now sokka is on his ide in the corner of the tank breahing heavy. Color looks ok, maybe a litte lighter than normal. Nuthing growning on his gills, no fin damage or weird coloration that I can see.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #5 
Sokkasmom

Oh, and he isn't moving. Just laying there breathing heavy.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #6 
sassyfriend

Do you know how old he is?
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #7 
10asartin

A 1 gallon tank should receive a 50% water change twice weekly. I do not suspect that is the issue, but it may contribute to any health problems.

Wardley brand betta food is not a good brand, it has a lot of fillers and grains that aren't good for betta systems. I started out with that brand too, not knowing any better but then I realized how bad it was and switched to NLS betta pellets.

Does the temperature in his tank fluctuate? 84 degrees is fine, but if it changes a lot that can cause some problems.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #8 
10asartin

Also, the Wardley pellets though a pretty good size are not so large that only 2 should be fed per day. I would up it to 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening.

A current picture of him would be very helpful.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #9 
shellieca

Ammonia can build up quickly so its good you've done the recent water changes. It is possible he had an illness when you purchased him & its taken time to show. I'm guessing you don't have a water test kit? It would be good to have one so you can test your tank water & your tap water for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates. Is your heater adjustable? He may not like the higher temp. so if you can cool it down to closer to 80F that might help some. I'm not familiar with the water conditioner you're using, the most recommended is Prime, doesn't take much & does pretty much every thing. Wardley pellets are on the larger side & they do swell but they're also not very good quality. You might fast him for a day or two & if possible get some New Life Spectrum or Omega One pellets. As for immediate help . . . can you post a pic of him?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #10 
Sokkasmom

Well i do a 100% and a 50% every week, sorry if that was unclear. I dont have a water test kit, should get one.. i know. heres a picture of him. We added the bubbles to his tank yesterday, and that seamed to help him for a while, but now hes doing it again, and he seams to be gasping more today than he was yesterday
Attached Images

Tags
gasping for air, laying on side, sick fish