Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2013, 01:17 AM   #1 
Flyby Stardancer

Does my boy have popeye? :(

I don't know if I'm just being a worry-wort or if there is something going on with him.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 81.4-84 (I'm struggling against a house that's regularly getting up to about 86-88F. I'm doing everything I can to try to cool his tank down. On chilly nights the heater keeps it at about 80.5)
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, though it's as baffled as I can get it.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Trumpet snails

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One pellets, NLS pellets, with frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms as supplemental treats.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? I try to do it once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? I aim for about 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime. Lately, I've been adding some CO2 Booster to try to increase plant growth, and today added a 1/4 dose of Flourish Comprehensive.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

I test my water parameters at least once a day, sometimes more. The spreadsheet of results can be viewed here. The tank in question is the second tab. Chloramines keep my tap water at .25-.5ppm ammonia, so if my water tests in that range I tend to add Prime to detoxify it, rather than stress him out with additional water changes. Adittionally, the nitrates in my tap went up recently, so water changes won't bring those down.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? It looks like his eyes are swollen. I'll add pictures at the bottom of the post.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Sometimes it seems like he has a hard time seeing things.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A few days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I've only added one IAL. Otherwise, I've been doing my best to keep his waters clean and warm-but-not-too-warm.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He nipped his fins at first, until I added IAL and more plants. Monday he somehow hurt himself and lost a few scales, but those have grown back. (I was out of the house when he hurt himself, so I don't know how.)
How old is your fish (approximately)? I purchased him as an adult from Petco maybe a month ago.

And I'm sorry, I can't get good pictures of his eyes. These are the best I can get.

Flyby Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #2 
shellieca

I'm not seeing pop eye. Some Bettas have more of a brow than others do. Somebody else may see it differently.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #3 
ANHEL123

I also don't see pop eye. But just observe him closely if you think that his eye changing. You can buy Epsom salt (unscented , without any additives) just in case you need to use it. Epsom salt is recommended as first aid for pop eye, i would also just have it on hands any way. If you own bettas i would have some meds and Epsom salt , aquarium salt on hands.

Water changes don't stress the betta and Prime helps to bring ammonia down and hold it up to 24-48 hrs. So if you have prime i would still use it and do additional water changes,especially that your water is very warm and bacteria and fungus grow faster in the warmer water. And make sure you rinse the filter media in the tank water or dechlorinated water weekly , it can have a lot of gunk in it and cause ammonia spike.
If it that hot you don't need to use the heater. I take all heaters out during the winter time. The temperature fluctuation from morning to night is gradual and it not harmful . Well its what i do. We had this discussion on this forum i can find the link for oyu if you want.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 08-06-2013 at 03:34 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I agree with the two here, I don't see pop-eye either which is great ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #5 
Flyby Stardancer

Okay, It's better to be worried and ask and nothing to be wrong, than to think everything is fine and walk away.

Things haven't been bad this past couple of weeks. As long as I turn the fan on in the afternoon, the water stays within a 3 degree range.

Are epsom salts safe for the snails? And I've been adding a dose of Prime every other day because I have been dealing with water quality issues. I have cleaned out the sponge I use in place of a cartridge in the filter, but even that hasn't fixed things. I'm going to be upgrading the filter and re-doing the tank in a couple weeks (the prep work has been far slowly than I would like).
Flyby Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #6 
ANHEL123

oh sorry i don't know if epsom salt safe for the snails. Find out before you use it. But if you ever need to treat him you can treat him in the hospital tank.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote