Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #1 
Chicklet

Blue betta Females Viciously fighting

Just thought I'd post a few pictures of some of my FEMALE betta's in a 20 gallon tank fighting Viciously,
By the time the fight was finished We had some pretty beat up females, Some ended up dying!
So don't be fooled thinking Females are docile or don't fight as viciously as males do...
I had Females even turn and end up killing some males...
The pictures really don't show you the half of the fight, These two kept Biting each other and ripping finage badly, They'd take a break then go right back at it, They ultimately had to be separated as they would not stop!
They swam around the tank many times locked in a bite, and came out tearing fitting to kill each other, If another crossed their path they ripped into them too. Oft times had all six going at it at the same time...
and Red females are much worse!
So don't be fooled thinking any two Betta's will be compatible,
Name:  Picture 108.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  25.9 KB

Name:  Picture 120.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  27.7 KB

Name:  Picture 117.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  97.3 KB

Name:  Picture 119.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  21.0 KB
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:19 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

They are not called "fighting" fish for nothing.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:25 PM   #3 
dukie1346

Aww, that's sad that some of them died. Guess they really got mad at eachother.
dukie1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:28 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Its their nature but some CAN live together under the right conditions.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #5 
Chicklet

Think it goes a little deeper then "being mad" as dramaqueen pointed out these are "fighting fish"

Just thought I'd post these pictures, Hopefully make some newbies to betta's stop and think before Buying their male betta's a female, Males and female fights are just as deadly and can happen all to quickly!
If your gonna try it, Be prepared by having another tank on hand, you'll very likely need it/

Last edited by Chicklet; 04-05-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think you have a good idea there, Chicklet. We occaisionally get people who post stuff like "why are my male and female fighting? The petstore guy said its ok to put a male and female together" .Yes, females CAN live together but, like I just said, only under certain circumstances. There has to be a large enough tank with lots of hiding spots and the females should have the right personalities for it.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #7 
Chicklet

yup and their is no way of knowing each betta's personality until you get it home and put it with another betta,
and be prepared to have to buy alot of females to find one that doesn't want to fight.

Size will tell you nothing, It's when they mature the real trouble starts,,
Old 04-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

People think that females aren't as aggressive as the males but some are just as bad, if not worse. I've even heard of people trying to breed a male and female and the female beats the crap out of the male.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:16 PM   #9 
Ariel1719

thats so sad ! =[ i tired puting pebbles in with lucifer when i first got them
and oh is she a tough cookie. it would have been a close fight, but i love them to much to just kill them like that, so now theyu are happily alone in their tanks =D
Ariel1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:29 PM   #10 
Nataku

Ah, this is something I have been contemplating for a bit now while I'm working on setting up a 10 gallon for some females, as I haven't seen many folks on the forum yet with much experience with lots of females, and unfortunately, there's nowhere near as much information on the females around the web as there are males. This is a very informative post! Thank you for posting this information, I was curious to know if females would take it as far as the males, and I guess that's a resounding yes.

Have you had any successful sororities? How many females were in them, and what tank size(s) did you try them in? Is there a specific size or color range you have found to be more successful than others? Is there a particular decoration (live or fake?) they seem to work well with, or does in not seem to matter? How does feeding times work with multiple bettas in the same tank? I'm sorry if I'm bothering you with all these questions, I just haven't seen many people who keep sororities and am deathly curious.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote