Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2013, 12:14 AM   #11 
Vier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bettas View Post
That is breeders type and preference. I want my fins all even and the anal the same length as the tail. I hate any slant at all in the anal as well. But that is my personal choice as balance it something I breed for above most other traits. I finished this year 5th over all and it was done on my females. I had only a few males and shows them at the last show or two. I have worked to develop nice females and as I actually get spawns with males.. they too are nicely balanced.

Other breeders prefer the look of slightly longer anals, mega branching or bigger dorsals. You do this a few years and you can recognize other breeders fish as you learn their "types". You can spot Karens fish at any show.. if you are familiar with her type. And I am sure she can recognize mine. Got to read the standards.. look at a lot of fish, and work what you have towards your goals. In my metallics I have the balance I want, next step is adding in DT to improved the dorsals. Will also be tweaking the color as we go as well.. so next you my girls should have a slightly different look, but still be recognizable as my fish.
Curious, arent those fin shapes/lengths standardized? TBH I dont know the standard so I might be completely wrong in my example, say even fins are what people look for..if you breed something longer- it maybe look like your own style of fish but is it still show standard?
Vier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #12 
Ilikebutterflies

There is apparantly no such thing as a "perfect" fish. Just a standard to give us guidelines as to what to breed towards. Your fish are going to have faults in one way or the other and still be show winners just because they had the fewest faults compared to what was showing that particular day. So that longer than standard anal isn't a big deal compared to what she is showing against.

If you are doing it for the enjoyment of the hobby you are going to breed whatever YOU like regardless of the standards. Personally, I am working with SHOW HMPK. I am breeding mine to look like fighters. That is going to give them a more stout aggressive look that is slightly outside the standard for good form but it is the way I want my fish. I hope to close that gap with outstanding finnage, color and deportment.

Last edited by Ilikebutterflies; 08-02-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:14 AM   #13 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vier View Post
Curious, arent those fin shapes/lengths standardized? TBH I dont know the standard so I might be completely wrong in my example, say even fins are what people look for..if you breed something longer- it maybe look like your own style of fish but is it still show standard?
Yes.. they are. But then you have interpretation. Still we are close.. just have different preferences. And judging is on faults. So the big ones are pulled first. And you then pull minor faults. What you are left with are slight faults. So you have a female with great branching and a slightly longer anal up against a better balanced fish with less spectacular tail or more average dorsal. Or you have one with perfect color but more form faults then a fish with slight color faults. It is now all slight faults so who wins. It comes down to a judges preference, just like a breeders.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #14 
Dragonlady

RIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B96EK5UXZM4P
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #15 
Silverbeam

She's such a beauty! I love the way she flares. And yes I think having a bigger dorsal fin would balance her out a bit^^ But I do think she looks wonderful otherwise.
-Sil
Silverbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #16 
bambijarvis

They're both beautiful, I always love your fish.
One of these days I'll have to buy a pair from you, when I can afford $85+ for a pair. xD
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #17 
TakingthePlunge

I LOVE the color pattern on her tail! That's just so perfect to me.
TakingthePlunge is offline   Reply With Quote