Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #1 
TianTian

Unhappy Bizzare eating habits?? And other things...

Tian-Tian's eating habits have been off lately. He held off eating for five days... never touched his food. When I presented a bloodworm, he SCARFED it down!! Is he trying to tell me something?

I switched to Wardley tonight and gave him one pellet... just to see if he was being picky. He spat it out and ate it a few times... when he finally got it down he clamped his fins and started drifting sideways.... I thought I had killed him! A moment later, however, he was swimming along just fine, though flaring at me now and then. I don't think he likes the Wardley brand.... oh well. If he doesn't want to eat his Top Fin (which is what he ate in the store)... I don't know WHAT to do with this fish!

He's in a 2.5 gal. tank and the water temp is currently at 77 degrees F. I just gave him a water change today.

Otherwise, Tian-Tian and I have been doing fine. I returned the filter that Tian-Tian decided to attack (it's a long story, lol... ). I exchanged the filter for some some Wardley Betta food (I was told to try Hikari Gold, as that seems to be the community's favorite but DANG that's stuff's expensive for such tiny bags!! ) and a tank decoration... (a sunken castle-lookin' thing. Pictures later...?)

Also, my cat of 10 years, Raisin, died today. I found out via a phonecall from back home. My life sucketh.
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:41 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry to hear about Raisin. Its sad to lose a pet that we love so much. I guess Tian Tian was telling you that he didn't like the Wardley either. lol I think he's gonna have to learn that its the Wardley's or the Top Fin.lol I'm lucky that I've never had a problem. My new female spits out the pellets and I'm feeding her micro pellets until she gets a little bigger.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:35 AM   #3 
TianTian

Thank you. *hugs*

Yeah, he's been a bit of a brat, lately.... *mutters* finicky old fart.... But he's loved.

I actually heard that when Bettas start turning brown on their faces it means they're getting old. Tian-Tian has always had a brown face and he is definitely fully-grown. Should I be worried about losing him anytime soon?
Old 04-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't think you have anything to worry about. They can live up to 5 years if they are taken good care of. I never heard that before about their faces turning brown. I think their color will fade and they'll get more lethargic.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:48 AM   #5 
TianTian

He's been fairly lethargic today. And he hasn't made a bubble nest in almost two weeks.
Then again, I have been, too. Kinda. Been out and about at class and whatnot.

He still won't eat either Top Fin or Wardley. :(
I already lost a cat; I know a fish isn't supposed to be a big deal, but Tian-Tian's been with me through my rough spots of living alone this semester. I don't want to lose him so soon.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:56 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have no idea what could be wrong with him. Maybe someone else will have some ideas.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #7 
LaniBaby

I'm sorry about Raisin. Kitties are wonderful. I have 3 and it would be awful to lose even one of them. Hugs about Raisin.

How much did you find the hikari for? I got a little packet at petsmart for less than $3. When you consider how many days a tiny packet will feed one betta, it might be worth it if he likes it.

Are there any noises in his tank that could be bothering him? Rattling filter? Buzzing heater? Maybe put your ear to the tank and see if you hear anything that could be bugging him. I couldn't hear my filters but when i put my ear to the tank i realized it was awfully loud for them so i ended up shutting them off.
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #8 
TianTian

Thanks, LaniBaby.

I don't have a filter in his tank. He's in a nice, quiet corner on my desk where he gets indirect sunshine half the day.

The larger Hikari packet was about $7.99 USD. Serously. WTH.
I think I might've seen a little one for $2.99, but they might've just not had them stocked that day. I'd have to go back and double-check.

I'm gonna give him another water change and see if that'll help improve his mood. Poor Tian-Tian!
Old 04-30-2009, 04:12 PM   #9 
TianTian

Woah, so I just finished a 100% water change (he needed it; the gravel was getting filthy and the walls of the tank were getting cloudy... even though I did a 50% water change just two days ago).

Anyway, Tian-Tian's usual red spots turned ORANGE while he was in a temporary bowl. Seriously, I don't think I've ever seen a fish look so dagum unhappy. :(

I rinsed the gravel and used a paper towel to get the gunk off the sides of the tank. Water conditioner, aged water and aquarium salt were used. Hopefully Tian-Tian will perk up a bit now.

I kept his plants and castle arrangement the same (so as not to stress him out).

Is there anything else I can do aside from wait and pray for the best? He's just panting and flapping his pectoral fins very rapidly. His red color has returned, but not as bright. I don't want to lose him...
Old 04-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #10 
whitedevil

I had left over betta pellets from my sons betta that passed after 5 years, I got my daughter BIG RED the betta, he wont eat em, does the same thing, he goes for bloodworms only, frozen,thawed, acclimated, dispensed. He wont touch brine shrimp, but he does like krill and pieces of fruit, especially bananas.
whitedevil is offline   Reply With Quote