Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #21 
Nataku

Quote:
Nataku, is the 1 tsp / gallon recommended for ill fish or everyday? I've been doing 1/2 tsp / gal for years for the healthy guys at water change times. Just curious!
I add 1 tsp per gallon every time I do a water change on the tank. I don't do water changes every day. But it's 1tsp per gallon for sick fish or normal fish. The amount of salt used per gallon is not really set in stone, different people seem to recommend different amounts, and the amount also seems to differ depending upon the fish you are caring for.
The only time I change the dosage is if I am doing a salt bath or if I am acclimating a new fish to having salt in their water. Salt baths I use a 1 gallon jar, and I double the dose to 2 tsp per gallon. This is something I do only rarely when a fish has a really bad external parasite infection. Never leave the fish in a salt bath more than 45 minutes, that's what I go by. Some people say two hours, some people say 15 minutes.... I go by 45 minutes. Again, there's no written law on this, it's just something that you have to find for yourself that works. When I'm acclimating new fish in their quarantine tanks when I bring them home from the store, I start them off in water with no salt, and after the first water change they get 1/2 tsp per gallon. After the second water change it goes up to the normal 1 tsp per gallon and continues thereafter.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #22 
Elisew

Well after adding the Protozin today, I have seen a slight improvement in Chimlin. I know it`s still very early days for him but he`s spent a bit more time actually swimming around, he`s still trying to rub himself on the bottom of the tank and laying down but he has swam a bit more. I have noticed that the sore irritated patches on his head and around his gills don`t look as irritated as they did.
I`ve also managed to get him to take another couple of bloodworm too, if he`s eating something then I`m hopeful that he`s feeling a little bit better.
Onto the subsequent doses I would like to ask someone to confirm the fact that I`m not meant to do any water changes until after the 6th dose has been done?? I`m still removing the `fluffy` kind of lumps that keep appearing on the bottom of the tank with a small pipette.
Also IF the ich/whitespot is still even the tiniest bit noticeable do I start the treatment all over again? If so from what day do I start it from?

I really feel for this little guy, it must be irritating the hell out of him
Elisew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:56 PM   #23 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad to hear that Chimlin is doing better.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:49 PM   #24 
Nataku

I'm not familiar with the exact brand you are using, but I continue the dosage until the ich is no longer visible. If you can see it, it obviously isn't gone yet, so don't stop. If the meds don't kill the fish, the disease will - take your choice. *shrugs*
Depending upon what or how bad a fish has something when I am treating them, depends on how often I do water changes. And yes, I do water changes during a treatment regimen, because six days (grabbing that number since it's what your med seems to say) is too long to not have a water change. A sick fish still poops, and so the water still gets dirty. Great, you saved your fish from dying of ich, instead it died of ammonia poisoning (not directed at you or anyone in particular, this is just a generic 'you'). You can't just focus on one thing and forget about the rest, they don't go away.
Being as when I treat my fish, they are in a quarantine or hospital tank which is not very large (1 - 2.5 gallons depending upon which tank they get stuck in) means that they generally get water changes every third day at most. But hey, these fish are sick, they generally got that way from dirty water, at least that's my general theory and thereby methodology in dealing with these things. So cleaner water = better fish? In severe cases of ich I've tried doing 100% water changes ever day over the course of treatment - the betta gets scooped up in a cup, the tank gets dumped and washed in HOT water, hot as you can get it, and then dechlorinated and salted water is added back, the fish is put back in, and then meds are readded. Eh, so far I haven't had enough ich cases to treat with differing water changing methods to come to any conclussion on which is better. I've saved fish with both. However in treating cases of finrot, the 100% water changes every day for a week straight (with salt in the water) have done wonders in clearing that up pronto. But that's not pertinent to this topic I imagine.

On irritating the fish or not: it's difficult to tell exactly what a fish may be feeling sometimes, we're only guessing. I have had several bettas that I have treated with quick cure though that after the first or second day will purposely swim to the drops as soon as they are added to the tank (since Quick cure takes a little bit of time to disperse out evenly into the water). These drops are obviously more concentrated then, logically if the fish did not like it they would swim away from it, the tanks I keep them in aren't so small that they can't move away from the drops. To me, this behavoir seems to indicate that there is something they like about the stuff - probably the itch/pain relief it causes by causing the parasites to go into 'shock', die and release their grip on the fish.
Nataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #25 
Elisew

Chimlin seems to be so much better. I can`t see any sign of whitespot at all today, the 6th treatment is due tomorrow, (supposedly the last day), then after another 48 hours and I can hopefully do a full water change I`ve done a partial water change already and I`ve been removing the crap with a small pipette to keep the water a bit cleaner. (filter is running too).

Chimlins` colour has come back well, he`s too pretty to be a boy! 8)

Would it be better to continue treatment for at least a couple of days just to make sure it`s all gone? Just because it can`t be seen, it doesn`t neccessarily mean it`s all gone?

It`ll be great to be able to sort the tank out with new plants and decoration and have Chimlin enjoying it like he did.

Unfortunately it looks like Shai-Lin my 3rd Betta has to now be treated, and if it carries on like this Lamai will probably have to be treated too

The rough with the smooth huh?
Old 05-04-2009, 12:10 PM   #26 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad to hear that Chimlin is doing better.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #27 
Elisew

Thanks dramaqueen, me too!

I`ve got some more plants and a lovely egyptian vase for an aquarium coming sometime this week so I`m looking forward to sorting Chimlins` tank out and getting him back to normal. 8)