Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #1 
Lucillia

Talking New tank/looking for tips

Hi guys! So Ragnarok has a new tank to move into! Its a very old approximately 10-15 gallon tank. I've had it running for a day and the rocks and fake plant are from the last time the tank was being used. So here's to hoping for some beneficial bacteria. I'm taking in a sample to work tomorrow to see what it looks like.

So... I'm looking for a few tips here...

1. Should I do planted or silk plants?
2. If planted what types are best for a smaller tank?
3. If silk where's the best place to get them?
4. What sort of decorations do you recommend?
5. I want to make it a community tank... What small fish do you recommend?
6. Whats the best way to baffle an old AquaClear 20? XD
7. How strong of an air pump should I be using?
8. What is a betta's favorite temp? I've always kept them from anywhere between 72-82.
9. What's a betta's favorite heater?
10. What's a betta's favorite substrate? Currently I have generic rocks... But what is more beneficial, easier to clean and good for planted plants?

That's all I can think of for the moment.. I'm sure I will think of more. I would appreciate any advice you guys can give!

I'm also setting up a split 20 gallon. I'm not sure how I'm splitting it still, so when I have that figured out I will ask for help on that too!
Lucillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Beneficial Bacteria or BB is killed when everything dries out so no, unfortunately there'd be no BB left and so you have to cycle all over again.

1. I say do planted, you know me lol

2. Here's a list of low-medium light plants: Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubias, Anacharis, Cabomda, Common Cryptocoryne's, Water Sprite, Water Wisteria, Hornwort, Moneywort, Frog-bit, and that's all I can think of right now.

3. For silk, I bought mine cheap from drsfosterandsmith.com right now since they have a summer sale but most place you can get them from are Amazon, Ebay, ThatFishPlace.com are my favorites.

4. Hides, they like things to hide in so anything that has caves they can swim through.

5. Glowlight Tetras, Microrasboras, Harlequin Rasboras, Cherry barbs, Neon Tetras, Celestial Pearl Danios if you want to order them, Endler's Livebearers, Guppies.

6. Add extra Sponge foam to the out flow and you can also stuff the intake with foam as well or wrap foam around the outside.

7. Don't use an air pump, Betta's need to breathe and don't like water being moved around that much. You know how Ragnarok get's really angry with the filter flow? Well he won't like an air pump either.

8. 76-82 is the best range, 72 is a bit on the lower side. It won't kill them though, it will just slow their metabolism down and they'll become more lethargic but 78-80 is the best to aim for.

9. Anything that's adjustable! My personal favorite is they Hydor Theo, on sale right now at drsfosterandsmith.com! http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...8&pcatid=11368 50 Watt for a 10 gallon, 50-150 Watt for a 20.

10. Anything honestly, I've got sand as well as gravel. You can use anything basically, even bare bottoms. Easy to clean, IMHO, gravel since you don't suck it up as much as sand. Good for plants, sand will keep most things rooted easier but they can root just fine in gravel as well. I use black gravel to bring out the Betta's colors (unless they're black or darker) and in my 10 and Rembrandt's 3, I'm using gravel and the plants stay just fine
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #3 
Lucillia

What size wattage should I use for the plants if I go planted? Where's the best place to get them? (I know at work not everything is labeled which drives me insane).

*edit - Also, where do you think gravel is the cheapest? I'd like to get black for the 20 and I'll need quite a lot. I'm thinking of mixing black in with the blue. I like my blue XD
Old 07-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Wattage doesn't tell you how good your lighting is, all wattage tells you is how much electricity is being used. So you could have a fluorescent that takes 9 watt's and a 25 watt incandescent and you still wouldn't be able to grow plants under the incandescent but under the flourescent the plants will flourish.

Basically how to tell lighting is by the PAR rating; Parabolic Aluminized Reflector rating. Basically it's not just the light, you have to account for how good your reflector is at reflecting the light into the water and how deep your water is.

So say you have a 12 inch deep tank and a 20 inch deep tank and both are using the same exact 9 watt CFL bulb (compact fluorescent light) and both have the same metal reflector. The 12 inch deep one is going to grow higher light plants because the light doesn't have as far to travel while the 20 inch deep is much higher and so the light has to travel much further to get to the substrate so therefore growing lower light plants.

And then for the reflector part, if you have a metal reflector or aluminum, you'll have greater changes of having higher light than if you just had a black piece behind the light or even white. White is a good reflector but aluminum is the best and I've actually put aluminum in some of my hoods to help increase the reflection rating too.

So anyway, since it's only a 10 gallon, having a CFL of any wattage will work just fine for most low-medium light plants. You might be able to get some high light plants too depending on how good your reflector is

EDIT: oh yeah, get the bulbs at Home Depot or Wal-mart. They have the mini spiral CFL's that are good or Wal-Mart has those 6,500K CFL's for 6 dollars I was telling you about.

Oh that's another thing, Kelvin rating but I think you already know about that? Let me know if you do.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #5 
Lucillia

Ahh okay. See Wattage for reptiles bases off how much heat the light will give off. The more watts the more heat. So for the florescent I'm going to need the two little tube ones... Any idea the best place for them? And plants too. I didn't specify I meant plants on the post like a dumb dumb.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Bi-Pin or CFL? Bi-Pin are the tube Fluorescent and CFL are the screw in ones.

You are right on the heat part, at least for incandescent's. Fluorescent's don't heat up as much as they do.

And do you mean, where's the best place to buy real plants?
Old 07-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #7 
Lucillia

Yes sorry.. work fried my brain today.. best place for live plants. And I believe CFL but I will have to pull it apart to make sure. I'm pretty sure CFL though.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah most hoods are screw in bulbs, if you have incandescent's in there now then it's a screw in. If it were Bi-Pin, you'd already have a Fluorescent in there.

Anyway, for live plants if you want to buy off of online AquaBid is great as well as Ebay. And then ThatFishPlace.com has some good selection of plants as well. And I can also take you down to the Sea Horse pet Shop I go to all the time, they have a really good selection of plants, not exactly cheap sometimes but good, healthy plants. and then the last is just Petco/Petsmart. I don't know if your store has them but the plants that come in tubes and packages are decent. That's how I got started on plants actually!
Old 07-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #9 
Lucillia

We do actually have the tube plants. They're about the only ones labeled right now. XD I just don't know how to get that gel stuff off. >< And you know I'd never complain about going to a petstore with you! That's how I got R! I'm gonna see what we have tomorrow. What are the best conditions for the plants to start in? I'm not sure where the cycle is currently or what the chlorine is at right now. I'm putting in some chlorination chems tonight.

**EDit- http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...10&pcatid=3610 OHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! I'm tempted to get it for the 20~

Last edited by Lucillia; 07-27-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You need to use a dechloriator every single time you change water, chlorine can kill your BB so....at this point I say you have no BB! lol I know you know of the cycle and all, but do you really know how to do it and the different types like Fish-less, Fish-In and Silent?

As for plants, they can go in at any point. Some plants like Crypt's will melt when first put in the tank but they'll grow after a week or so, basically they're just acclimating to the new water chemistry. Some plants do this more than others, the most common being Crypt's and Swords.

And yeah, we could....take a visit next Friday when we go for a joyride lol it would be a good time for me to get used to the car haha

Tags
plants., tank cycle, tank mates