Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Cheap lighting suggestions? or Would the led's I bought work?

I have 12 five gallons lined up side by side (vertically) that I need to light. I will be converting them gradually. I originally was just going to do a sorority (which has a pricier light) but my enthusiam has extended. Funds are going to be limited soon so I need to do it on the cheap. I originally bought leds before I planned on doing all NPT's:

http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Fle...oof+led+lights

They come in blue also which I can get. However even thought they are very bright I am not sure they'd support plants.

I do live in a circa 1950's house we have limitations on how much I can wattage I can support. Any idea's or info on whether my leds will work is appreciated.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:56 PM   #2 
Stone

those are not the right kelvin wavelegnth you need 6500k or higher as far as it being enough I have no clue
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:05 AM   #3 
jadaBlu

I was considering hardwarestore clamp lights with full spectrum plant bulbs like you can find in the lighting section at Walmart. Would those work?

I have an extra shoplight that takes flourescents I might be able to hang.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #4 
Stone

you can do either, on the side of the box, some it's harder to find you will give you the kelvin rating/temp 6500k, is what you want, the ones they say are plants the "growlights" have a yellowish hue, I don't like them, the 6500k lights are more of a blueish hue
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The yellowish "growlights" work OK on terrestrial plants. But for aquatic plants (and penetrating water) you want 6500K as Stone says.

Lot's of people hang shop hoods over their tanks. Cheap 6500K bulbs for them are easy to find. Just remember to put cling-film over your tanks to keep in the warm moist air that they like to breath.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote