Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2009, 07:21 AM   #11 
ifish

yes you are right i dont think its even 1 gallon i plan to buy a 2 gallon but im worried about how much betta plus i have to put in and righ now i change 50% or the water how much do i have to change for a batte
ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:25 AM   #12 
Twistersmom

Bettas do need their water declorinated, but you do not have to use declorinator made for bettas.
It may be cheaper for you to use another kind of water conditioner for fish such as AmQUEL, Stress Coat, Prime, Start Right, and many others. Check into your stores prices.
Twistersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #13 
Kim

50% once a week in a half gallon tank 0_0 Yikes! I would be doing 100% changes every day to every other day and upgrading as soon as possible. Go for at least 2.5 gallon, and you NEED a heater. Like has been said, a more concentrated (ie: better value) water conditioner like the ones mentioned above is a good investment if you are worrying about how much conditioner you will need to use.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:58 AM   #14 
ifish

thanks but i plan to get a 2 gallon tank and then change water once a week with like a heater and stuff a kit but with that how much water do i change every week
Old 05-01-2009, 11:25 AM   #15 
JingleAllTheWay

A 2 gallon is okay if that is just what your heart is set on. Even in a two gallon you need to change more than once a week. I'd say fifty percent two or three times a week. Especially if it doesn't have a filter.
You need (I stress need) to get a heater. Your tank should stay at 78 to 80 degrees. So you should get a good thermometer.
You need to have a water conditioner (dechlorinator). That is a must.

For now, before you get a bigger tank you need to do full water changes, I'd say, every other day. Can you post a picture of your tank?
JingleAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:33 AM   #16 
Sens

If you are worried about how much tanks cost I know PetCo has glass aquariums that range from $15 for 5 Gallons and the 10 Gallon ones are $11. I have no idea why the prices are like that but anyway...they are just basic tanks but they work great. I have two and they do the job just great.

Good luck!
Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:48 PM   #17 
ifish

thanks im not worried about my size i just am not sure can it live a happy life in the tanks its in right now if i do a water change every 3 days but the fish will go into schock if i do a full water change
Old 05-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #18 
Elisew

If you are going to continue with your Betta in the tank it`s in now, the minimum you need to be looking at is at least 50% water change every other day. You can buy cheaper makes of conditioner, most of them tend to do the same job, just adjust the dose accordingly to the amount of water. Your Betta WILL NOT go into shock, make sure the temperature you change is approx the same as the temperature you`re removing.

You do NEED to get a heater, but a filter in that size tank is going to take up too much room, your Betta wouldn`t really have any room to move.

I`m sure you`ll work it out, read through the replies you`ve had and go with what`s best for your Betta if you intend to keep him.
It`s not always easy to be able to go out and spend money but the minimum you need has already been explained here and it won`t cost you a lot to give your Betta a decent, clean, happy home.

Lise x

Last edited by Elisew; 05-01-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: add info
Elisew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:08 PM   #19 
JingleAllTheWay

Your fish will NOT go into shock if you do a full water change, ifish. In the size it is I would say that you should do a full water change at least every other day.
JingleAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #20 
ifish

ok thanks ofr the help im gonna get a tnak around 2 - 3 gallons but so what do i need in it i wanna find a kit